Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jim Almquist

Outfished by the wife on Burntside

13 posts in this topic

Its was Friday night and we still were not sure what to fish for it was going to be crappies close to home or Cool Cats get together and the third choice was to run up to Burntside for lakers. I looked at the weather forecast and it sounded like it would be great so I decided we should try lakers under some protest from Lisa. She wanted to try for crappies but I was driving so lakers it was.Went to Great Outdoors for bait and received a lot of great info and even some spots to try and did not even have to bribe GO for them. We hopped around to a few of the spots and stayed at the one that seemed to have the most smelt activity. Lisa hooked her first laker at 2:00 and it was 21" and hooked a 25" at 4:00. I thought she was shaking a lot with the fish at 2 and after getting the 25" up I thought she was going to wet her drawers when it made a couple power dives and the ole drag was a squealing. The look on her face when I pulled it out of the hole was priceless. There was no way to wipe that grin off. We decided that we would release this one for another day. At 4:25 I finally catch one and it is only a 18" and I released that one to . Sunday morning we hit the same spot and Lisa hooks into another nice one and it is another 25" and gives her a great battle but she able to land it but this one had some battle scars from when it was young so we decide we will keep this one for smoking. We had a ton of fun but I sure wish I could have got one of those nice ones but at least she is hooked on laker fishing now grin.gif

1st fish 21"

IMG_2307framedtest.jpg

2nd fish 25"

testframe.jpg

3rd fish 25" Note the indentation 2/3 the way down- Chomped by a bigger fish when young.

IMG_2317testframe.jpg

Seems like my wife regularly outfishes me too! \:\) Great story and good lookin' pix!

Thanks for sharing a cool story, Jim, and a big congrats to Lisa! grin.gifgrin.gif

I was out on Friday and caught two. Looks like the decent fishing trend continued through the weekend.

Lisa,

Crappies, schmappies! Jim had the plan! \:D

When you're fishing the craps after laker season closes, I'm thinking you'll still be smiling. Eh?

Congrats.

nice fish lisa and jim. glad to see there still active up there.

My girl out fished me on gills today, makes me happy.

Great Job, Great story jim, lisa must have her graph back up and working. Well great photo's and you got some nice fish. You do now Jim they will always catch more and Bigger fish every time thats why we take them with us.

I don't know about that SK! I think I'd be heading to divorce court if that happens every time we're out! \:D\:D

I sent my Marcum in the following week at the Bash and they replaced the transducer and transformer and I got it back the beginning of the following week. Great customer service and now she works just beautifully!

Nice fish and some great photos. Congrats and it was nice to see some realeases to be caught another day. Especially with the pressure B-side has had this year.

First time I took my wife on a fly in to Canada she catches a very nice 28" walleye within 2 hours after we got there. Hey but I catch more that she does. Sound like sour grapes? It is.

Congrats Lisa on some nice looking fish! You'll have to listen to Jim more often. grin.gif

He has always been an excellent guide. Too bad he doesn't get paid huh? Except in trout... \:D

WTG Girl!

Great pictures and report. Thanks!