Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trimbelle22

Ice on guides

11 posts in this topic

does anyone have any tips or tactics they use to keep the ice from building up on the guides while fishing in cold weather? I'm not sure if there is any answer besides simply pulling it off with my hands, but if figured i would ask in case someone has a method that works.

If you rub some floatant paste on the guides, the oil from the floatant will help keep ice from sticking. It also shouldn't hurt your line much either. Someone mentioned different porosity of the metals/ceramics used on guides. Maybe the titanium guides have less pores for the ice to cling to?

I don't have any sure-fire tricks, but I'm sure others on here have some pretty ingenious ideas....

Never tried it, but it's called Stanley's Ice Off Paste by Loon Outdoors products. Think i'll have to get some this year. With that pin and long rod, de-icing is even tougher.

the paste I was referring to was also made by loon. It's probably the same stuff as the "ice off paste" LOL

Leave it to the steelheaders to give you good advice on keeping ice of the guides. They'll probably know better than anyone else here... ;\)

thanks for the info guys. i figured there was something out there or at least some kind of trick that people used. i might have to try some of the paste because pulling the ice off all the guides on an 8' rod gets old.

Try some chap stick on the guides. I've heard it works well, but haven't tried it myself.

Loon paste is Ok. You can also reduce the problem by choosing larger guides when building a fly rod for winter use. It's the same principle used when building outdoor ice fishing rods

WD-40 WORKS JUST AS GOOD ! AND ITS A FISH ATTRACTANT ALSO ,AS WELL AS A LINE LUBE. DJWOOD

Try keeping your tip in the water as much as you can. It will help the tip at least. If you still have problems, the other thing that works well is to keep your fly rod in a warm house until winter turns to spring. \:\)

Originally Posted By: trimbelle22
thanks for the info guys. i figured there was something out there or at least some kind of trick that people used. i might have to try some of the paste because pulling the ice off all the guides on an 8' rod gets old.

try a 10' rod... Those spey/skagit/double-handed rod guys must have a handful as well.

Hi guy's ,

Have you tried putting a small piece of floatation or SOFT foam in the top guide and spraying it with wd-40 worked really good for me when I flyed druing the winter months. It did not hamper casting either.