• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

32" Draw Length

Hills

I am looking to get started in bow hunting this year. I have a long draw length of 32". JUst stopped by Mike's Archery in St. Cloud today and looked at some bows. Great place, I will definitely buy my bow from there being it is a local shop and they have good service.

I was looking for some suggestions or recommendations on what to go with. I was told a Bear Code was a good option, but I am sure there are many others. (Hoyt, Bear etc....)

I have $1000 dollar bonus coming next week and I need to get a complete setup (bow, arrows, case...)out of that.

Hiya!!

The best thing you can do is go to the shop, and have them set up a few different bows for you to shoot. Reason being is you want to find a bow that you feel most comfortable with. things to consider is how it feels in your hand, how you like the pull (smooth or more radical draw) Quietness, how much feedback you feel when you shoot. Many bows these days have made massive jumps in technology, to the point you don't feel any type of kick-back from the bow, which is really nice. But...you will find differences in each brand and style you try. Find the best one for you and you'll be all set.

Then, depending on what bow you like, you have releases to try out, sights rest and arrows to decide upon.

All in all it is a fun thing to do, but take your time, try out lots of stuff and find what fits you best. When you are confident in what you purchase, you will be more apt to work with it to get really accurate.

Any of the big brands will have something for you to try.

Enjoy the search!!

Steve

I don't think a Bear Code won't go to 32" draw. You are going to need to find a bow that fits your draw length. Unfortunately most bows go to 30".

Go to a few shops, get second opinions on draw length. and try to shoot some bows that feel right at your draw length. After you figure out what feels right as far as draw length find out which bows come with that option and shoot those.

If I had $1000 to spend on a new bow I would buy a top end model from a couple years ago. Some guys are bow junkies and get a new bow or two each year. Do a seach on archery websites and check the classifieds after you decide which bow you like that fits you and you should be able to get it much cheaper than new.

Are you sure you have a 32" draw? You should have a shop measure it. You could add a string loop and a release and find that you can get by with a much shorter draw length.

Great posts above... Best thing to do is go in a shoot them.. always bring a note pad with you and take notes as to what you liked and what you didn't like about each bow... I also suggest not buying the first one that feels good. Go back in and shoot it again on another day and see if it still feels as good as it did the first time you shot it.

Lastly I also agree with so haaad. Are you 100% sure you are a 32" draw length?... What is your wing span? How tall are you 7'? Do you currently have a bow and could you take a picture of yourself at full draw?

thats what I was wondering how tall are you? I am 6'5 and have a 31 inch draw, I added the string loop and an adjustable release and it helps cut down your draw legnth like was said. I got a new Martin a couple years ago from Sportsmans, they had brand new year old bows on clearance for the new models coming out I saved a few hundred dollars. You are going twant to find a deal because after buying the bow, release, sights, arrows, broadheads, target, case, and so on you will get to a grand in a hurry. My bow was 600 but I got it for 350 which really helped with the other stuff. just get what feels comfortable for you.

Thanks for the input guys. Any names to these bow hunting sites that give testing results. O like the idea of getting a last years models like some of you have mentoned. YES I am a 32"draw length. I am 6'9" and forget my wingspan, but the 32" draw is legit I believe. That is what makes my purchase a little more difficult.

6'9"! You wont need a treestand! lol Yes a string loop will help you get a little more draw length. Shoot as many different brands as you can. Do your reaserch and you will be happy. Be sure to look at Mathews and Bowtech.

You might want to compare drawlengths for each bow brand. I had a 30' switchback xt that fit me perfect once I had a string loop on it and I have a 30' Guardian with a string loop on that is a little to short on me. Apparently Mathews and Bowtech have different measuring devices. confused.gif

Hills,

Do an internet search for archery talk.

You are going to need something that goes to around 31.5" as you can make up the last .5 with a loop. Here are some models that go that long:

Ross CR 337, Bowtech Commander, Mathews Switchback LD, Bowtech Old Glory, PSE XForce LD.

You should be able to find a used bow in any of those models other than the Xforce LD as it just came out.

I have a Ross CR 337 and like it. If I needed to change the DL all I need is cheap modules unlike many other bows where you need to buy new cams to change DL. Good luck.

I was just looking at the back of my 2007 hoyt book i got with my bow and found that the Vectrix goes up to 31 (probably still too short), Vectrix XL up to 31.5, 38 Pro up to 32, and the 38 Ultra up to 32. Those were the 2007 models and who knows if any shop would have one of them long ones on hand. Good luck in your search.