• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

crappies on prior

hey guys anyone been doing any good im not looking for gps cords but hopeing to get fow or something to start i have been out alot but only get one or two any help would be great

I think they are catching a few in the small bay by the island.

Not bad if you can find a spot to fish. Lakefront, Sandpoint, and yes even the wagon bridge can be hot.

Fished prior today stayed shallow all day about 15' to 12' on whats left of the weed edge. Did pretty good for crappies in the morning kept 7 and 11"-13". Using small silver pimple with 3-4 reds on. Sunnies were on and off all day but did manage a few decent fish.

I thought about goin down there today too and didnt make it. Sounds like there's a decent morning bite. Maybe ill have to make it there tomorrow morning. Upper or Lower?

I haven't fished Prior since early ice off Sand Beach Park in the bay by the island. It usually gets too busy out there during the peak ice season, but it should calm down some now with Walleye season done and permanents needing to be off the ice. Maybe I'll have to give it a try next weekend.

I switched crappies lakes and found much more aggressive fish. I have been VERY frustrated trying to get the Prior crappies to bite - They have been very timid on the camera and on the vex most of the time and they are not very big this year either.

Ace - Are you reporting seven 11 to 13 inch crappies??!! If you are, get real. That is a bold faced lie.

tj, grow up. Yes there are crappies out there to be caught like that, you just need to get to the right place at the right time. Yes it has been a tough winter for crappies out there unless you can find them, but i know a few people who have left with their limits from their including fish up to 13 inches.

Was out last nite out of the sportsmen access from 3 to 8:30 PM. Between 2 guys we caught about 20 crappies, keeping 15. All were between 8" to 10". The action was steady the whole time. We were in 36' FOW. The fish were suspended anywhere from a foot off the bottom to 10' off the bottom. White Rasto with a Euro Larva worked the best. We did catch a few on minnows. Prior as been good for us on the crappie action this winter. Better then previous years.

Originally Posted By: Aces In The Hole
Was out last nite out of the sportsmen access from 3 to 8:30 PM. Between 2 guys we caught about 20 crappies, keeping 15. All were between 8" to 10". The action was steady the whole time. We were in 36' FOW. The fish were suspended anywhere from a foot off the bottom to 10' off the bottom. White Rasto with a Euro Larva worked the best. We did catch a few on minnows. Prior as been good for us on the crappie action this winter. Better then previous years.

Where's Sportsman's Access?

You just have to know were to fish there tj. I've been fishing prior for 25 years I know were to go.

Originally Posted By: AceintheHole
I've been fishing prior for 25 years I know were to go.

We're happy for you.

Was out on prior last weekend and pulled out a nice bunch of keepers with a few 12 inchers in there. The big ones are out there just gotta be patient.

Got my limit in 32' of water out there this morning, but I don't know where you guys are getting all of these 10" plus fish.

I have caught at least 200 crappies out there this winter and maybe 1 or 2 in the 10" range, & none bigger.

I'd like to see a picture of either the 12+ inch crappies or the ruler you are using to measure them.

I am part of a group of 6 guys that has a permenant house on Prior. This is the best year we have ever had for crappies on Prior. I am guessing we easily caught 500+ crappies out there this winter and none of them was a legitimate 10 inches. Don't get me wrong, we had a blast catching and releasing them.

This isn't the first year that has been like this either. 4-5 years ago 10 inchers were fairly common and getting a 12 or 13 incher wasn't a rare event. The size structure is just way down.

I realize that crappies can school by size butI think 99%+ of the crappies in Prior are under 9 inches with most in the 6-8 range. Just my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Walleye Guy
I'd like to see a picture of either the 12+ inch crappies or the ruler you are using to measure them.

I realize that crappies can school by size butI think 99%+ of the crappies in Prior are under 9 inches with most in the 6-8 range. Just my opinion.

I don't have a lot of experience with crappies on prior but I agree 100% with these 2 statements.

Great post Walleye - You are 100% right on the mark.

What was your best depth for numbers?

I have done best in the deeper water - 26-32 feet or so - and the particular area has not mattered. There are A LOT of crappies out there all over the place.

My group also has caught a lot of crappies out there, majority about 8". I know for sure that I haven't seen one at/over 10".

a group of guys i have been fishing with all winter long have pounded big crappies all winter... yea we have caught a ton of 6-8 inch crappies.... but we have also caught numerous 10-12 inch crappies, and also a buddy has caught a 16 inch crappie in prior also.... unless you have physically caught or seen every fish in that lake i dont think anyone on this forum should have the jurisdiction to tell people what they have and have not caught. if you havent been catching nice sized crappies..... big deal, but dont harass other guys who are having good luck.

if you guys caught crappies over 11 inches, props to you i fish prior lake everyday in the winter and know the lake well and i havent found the big ones all winter, i believe you but would also like to see a picture.

You may well have "pounded" the big crappies all winter long. You may also have "caught numerous" 10-12 inch crappies out of Prior. I don't doubt that there are a 16 inch crappie or two in Prior either.

However I will just reserve my right to my opinion until I see verifiable proof that big crappies are more than an a freak occurrence on Prior Lake.

Originally Posted By: PLfisherman
if you guys caught crappies over 11 inches, props to you i fish prior lake everyday in the winter and know the lake well and i havent found the big ones all winter, i believe you but would also like to see a picture.

I totally agree with PLfisherman

Well, going out again this weekend. If I or anyone else in my group lands another big one I'll be sure to bring along the camera and post the proof right here. Until then, the mystery remains!

Let me get this right. If some people don't catch bigger crappies say 10" and above they must not be any in the whole lake. So if anybody catches then bigger then 10" they must be not be telling the truth. I mean if you guys can't catch them then nobody can right. Must be fairy tails. LOL

Ace,

"If some people don't catch bigger crappies say 10" and above they must not be any in the whole lake." "So if anybody catches then bigger then 10" they must be not be telling the truth."

That is not what I said. I am sure there are big crappies in Prior. There are big crappies in every lake. However it is my opinion that they are the rare exception and not the rule on Prior.

I am quite confident that people on this site have caught big crappies out of Prior this year. However using words like "pounded" and "numerous" indicate to me that others have the belief that big crappies in Prior are more than just an exception. I don't buy that.

I am open minded and my opinion would change if I saw in person or in pictures somebody with a bunch of 12 inch crappies that they could prove they caught in Prior this winter.

Until then its my right to remain skeptical.

Frankly, the more negative reports on forums such as this on all of the metro lakes; the better off the lakes will be for quantity and quality fish. Trolling here for tidbits won't get you onto fish. If you want to find out how fishing is on a lake, go fish the lake and talk to people out there.

As far as Lower Prior goes, I pulled (1) 11" crappie this winter and about (700) 6" crappies out: you do the math. I don't have a picture here of the 11", though, so it must not exist. grin.gif Honestly, if it is SOOOO bad, what's keeping the hundreds and hundreds of houses (perms and ports) out on Prior and concentrated on some spots and then completely desolate elsewhere? 6" crappies, 5" sunnies, and 9" walleyes? I doubt it. But, with my personal experience out there; Tonka's calling my name for next winter's permanent home. Prior is convenient for early and late ice in a portable, though.