Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

heading to wigwam -- what's been working on low?

14 posts in this topic

I have never fished this late in March on LOW.

We will be there March 10-12.

Two questions --

1 -- any thoughts to what type of luck we can have at that time

2 -- what jigs/spoons should I load up on? I would guess hammered gold something?

Thanks for the help.

Hitman

Hittman, I would bring a few red glow, gold, pink, and white glow buckshots with. Try to use 1/4 oz or bigger so you dont catch so many 10 inchers. J/K LOL. Good luck up there it should be great fishing, and give the report when you get back.

Will do, Ray, thanks

anyone else?

thanks

I usually use 1 jigging rod w/ a spoon of some sorts, usually gold or something w/ glow and a minnow head. On my bobber rod, I always have a glow demon jig w/ a pink or green head or a glow red frostee jig and a shiner. A bunch of guys I work with and I are headed up to the Pine Island area on the 9th. I've never fished up there this time of year, but I'm hoping the fishing was at least as good as it was for me in January.

Brian

thanks for the help, Brian.

Anyone else?

Any other ideas?

Hitman, what works for me is anything glow that rattles. Rattlin Varmits or Buckshots. Glow red or glow green is good. I rig one rod with that and my other rod is a glow green or gold gem-n-eye under a bobber. Seems to work for me when I go. I have heard plain colored hooks under a bobber have been good too. I will be up there the weekend of March 15th. Good luck to you. What part of the lake are you going to fishing (i.e. Wheelers Point area, Long Point, Arnesons, Warroad)?

Woops sorry Hit, I just read the heading to your post. I see you are heading out of Wigwam. I will be out from Long Point. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the help.

Hitman

our group was up to the Wigwam last Thurs-Sat. Fishied past Pine IS. on Thurs. Tried several depths, very slow. went with the resort out to the "reefs" the next 2 days. We were near Bridges reef but not on it, on a gravel/silt flat to the NE of it. (this is where Wigwam had the houses) got 40 fish on Fri. and 65 on Sat. no problem finding eaters with little ones mixed in. 22 1/2 inch eye was biggest. 15 jumbos mixed in biggest at 13 1/2 inch. Sometimes the dead sticks would produce (mostly a glow spoon type jig - ie, demons, frostees, forage minnow - the color of glow veried each day). The top jigging lures were red glow rattlin varmit, buckshot spoons, perch/firetiger jigging rap, swedish pimples. The action was fairly consistent throughout the day with a few flurries in the afternoon. we had 5 guys so the numbers were decent but no motherloads. fishing into March should pick up as they move right onto the reefs(Wigwam that is). Fishing on the flats out past Pine has been really slow from the word of mouth up there.

have fun, wish I was going back

Thanks

GREAT post.

Anyone else.

Leaving at Noon today -- can't wait.

Any last minute info/ reports?

thanks

We fished about 25 fow just out past Pine Island and did pretty well. We were 2 walleyes and 3 sauger short of our limit for three people, but all the fish we kept were quality fish. Saugers ran from 12-15 and walters ran 14-18.75. Our best luck came on a pink glow jig with a shiner, but the fish wouldn't bite right after charging the jig, they waited until the glow died down. We also caught a few on a gold jig, but the pink was about 85% of the bobber rod bite. I also pulled out the buckshot spoon, white and orange, 1/4 oz, and tipped it with a shiner head (upside down worked best) and just rattled the snot out of it about 6" off the bottom. I caught about 25 sauger and a couple eyes doing that Saturday afternoon. The bobber lines were set anywhere from 1-3 inches off the bottom. Any higher and they just wouldn't take it.

Good luck.

sounds like the eyes/saugers are starting to move in shallower,.