Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RonZych

linwood

10 posts in this topic

Off I go to linwood today at 1:00. Fishing the panfish in the shallows. Come on out. Black Explorer.

how you do. went out panfishing up north and got a couple 10 inch sunnies a a few 9's. got a few trout to.

Lots of smaller sunfish and 1 small pike. I don't know why we don't go out there with tip-ups during the open season. There were 2 guys fishing out of a pick-up watching 6 tip-ups. I said something to them when a flag went off. They said they were just catching and releasing... They quickly picked up and left. About 10 groups fishing the hole in front of the landing. 2 vehicles in the other deep hole. We left before dark.

Originally Posted By: RonZych
They said they were just catching and releasing... They quickly picked up and left.

Gee, I wonder why they left so quickly?

If these folks were catching crappies, so be it.Otherwise, the local CO should have been called to deal with this nonsense.'Catch and release' after the season is closed-you gotta be kidding me! mad.gif

Knuckleheads.........fishing with tip ups after the closed season

I understand that there are probably some unethical sportsman out there fishing with tip-ups with the intention of catching gamefish after the seasons closed, but fishing with tip-ups can actually be good for crappies. I guess you have to look at it like, if you have a small crappie minnow on a small hook or jig, what is the difference if you have the line tied to a tip up or a jig pole?? It really doesn't matter what your equipment is above the ice. I am not trying to stir the pot or advocate tip up use during the panfish only season, but I will be using a tip-up for crappies to cover more ground here in March. I will have 2 pound test leader tied on with a micro jig and crappie minnow though. Any warden who thinks you are fishing for walleyes or pike with a set-up like that is obviously looking to pinch anyone and everyone.

GE

They werent using crappie minnows....

Fishing for panfish with tip-ups helps you cover more ground? Moving from hole to hole with a jig pole helps you cover more ground. I would end up 100yds or more from a stationary flag. If I was a C.O., and seen tip-ups I would be checking also.

Ron, I wasn't directing my comments towards you as far as calling a CO, or not callng a CO.I was in a foul mood when I posted previously,so reading your observation of these clowns got me little worked up.The fact they got up and left was good enough by itself.I suppose a tip-up could be used for panfish/crappies, but it isn't my first choice this time of year.

Ron, I guess I just speak of how I like to fish crappies in March. To each their own I guess. I am usually on smaller lakes that I know fairly well and know where those crappies are going to be staging outside spawning areas. There isn't usually much hole hopping needed. Plus the tip-up out helps you maximize your chances while being able to concentrate on your jigging. Good luck.

Point taken.:)