• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

WQhich way would YOU go?

I have vacation set up for the week before Fathers day. If it were you, would you go to Kab and camp/fish for 5 days, or Namakan by way of Crane Lake?

It sounds like you planning on island camping so my opinion is based on that. If I were going to fish the Western half of Kab only I would camp on that end of the lake. It's a long run through Crane and Sandpoint lakes to get into Namankan, so if I were fishing the Eastern half of Kab and anywhere on Namakan I would launch at the National Park Visitors Center on the Ash River Trial. It's a more central starting point and a 10 minute trip on the Ash River through Sullivan Bay will get me to resorts for any needed supplies. There are several camping sites within a few of miles of the Park Visitor Center on the Ash River Trail but it will be a busy time of year and possibly a challenge to get one. Namakan will offer more sheltered fishing on windy days.

the only places to get gas going out of crane is sandpoint lodge or the canadian trading post on sandpoint lake. i paid 5.19 a gallon last year.lots of options to fish on the canadian side. have never fished the us side as i stay at a scout camp on the canadian side. distance to get gas is about the same either way.no customs if you stay at ash river and fish the us side. would be interested to hear how you do as i will be onkab jun 28 - july5 and fishing namakan mostly.

The past three years I have camped at the far north end of Sandpoint and fished in Sandpoint and Namakan. Was thinking about fishing the east end of Kab, west end of Namakan this year. How far a run is it to the wolf pack islands?

My boat holds 30 gallons of gas, I fish US side only and usually bring and extra 15 gallons with me. Usually have about 20 gallons total left at the end of 5 days and I do alot of trolling. I don't care to deal with the hassle of the remote crossing permit.

To me it sounds like the Visitor Center on the Ash River Trial is the perfect place to launch for your trip. From that landing the Wolf Pack islands would be in the 20 minute range at 28-35 mph and less if you camp on Namakan. There are several camp sites between the landing and the Wolf Pack area.

ash river is approx 15 miles from hammer bay according to google earth. not sure about wolf pack

Thanks for the reply's. Ash river looks like the lead dog.

Wade,

Post me your email addy and I can get you pointed in the right direction for east Kab/west Namakan, as I've camped that area for probably 125-150 days the last 10 years. You will have plenty of gas, my boat only holds 17 and I take 15 extra, and I have never needed more (and i always make at least one trip to Kettle falls every trip, and move around alot).

The wolf pack's are 9 miles from the landing at Ash river, tho unless it is a very warm May/June I would stay a bit closer to Kab, maybe the williams island area. Sexton Island is nice, but will be closed due to the bald eagle nest just up the shoreline from the campsite.

Fishing should be good that time of year, smallies, eye's and spawned out pike should be active. Might even luck into a few crappies

Wade! I usually put in on Crane and head up to the east end of Namakan to camp in the Blind Pig/My Island/Your Island area. I have always been able to locate a good camp site, plenty of sheltered areas if you need them, and the traffic is minimal. The fishing, as always, depends just how good you might be, and what the conditions are from day to day. I have an Alumacraft with a 50 HP Yamaha, and at 4000 RPM do about 22 MPH, and will burn burn between 4 - 5 gallons, which is less than the time it takes from Handberg's on Crane to the islands on Namakan. So, I figure 10 gallons to get in and get out, and then figure out the amount of running time I have available to fish with whatever remaining gas I may have . . . 25 gallons for my trip is more than ample.

By the way, I've watched your posts over the past year or so, and have been tempted to ask you if you might be on the lakes at a time when I'm there so we might meet up somewhere. You seem like a pretty nice person . . . I'm an "old soldier" too, and we could tell fibs to each other to pass the time away! You're in Wisconsin, is that correct?

Terry Wiebenga - [email protected]

Cedar Falls, Iowa

Terry

Cozzene, I have stayed in the sdame places you have. I usually put in and make the run like you do. I have always caught fish, sometimes it Northerns, sometimes it eyes and smallies, but never dissapointed. This year I was gonna try the other end of the lake as I wanted to fish Namakan and Kab. Thanks for the compliments, many others would say I am not so nice. Us old sailors get pretty set in our ways and can be pretty oipinionated. Bottom line though, I LOVE to fish, catching them is bonus! I'd love to share a boat with you and swap "sea stories" as we call em, od maybe a campfire and shoot the breeze over a cold one. This year I plan on being up there from The Wed before fathers day until Fathers day. Yes, I live in WI. (I am from the La Crosse area originally) Right now I live 15 miles south of Superior WI.

• 5 weeks later...

Can anyone give me an idea of what campsites to stay at on Far End of Sandpoint or Namakan. I'm planning on fishing Sandpoint and Namakan exclusively. How difficult will it be to find a site coming up the Thursday of the last weekend in June.

What are the bugs like usually that time of the year? I'm planning on coming up with my finace and my two boys 14 & 11. Done a little camping in St. Parks and some US Forest Campgroundds and not sure what to expect here especially with bears. I'm also curious about how much gear to bring and if a marine radio works in that area at all?

I've heard its supposed to be a blast. I've fished up there the last couple of summers and the area is beautiful and I love it up there.

How far of a run is it to kettle Falls motel from the Namakan narrows.

Can anyone give me an idea of what campsites to stay at on Far End of Sandpoint or Namakan. I'm planning on fishing Sandpoint and Namakan exclusively. How difficult will it be to find a site coming up the Thursday of the last weekend in June.

What are the bugs like usually that time of the year? I'm planning on coming up with my finace and my two boys 14 & 11. Done a little camping in St. Parks and some US Forest Campgroundds and not sure what to expect here especially with bears. I'm also curious about how much gear to bring and if a marine radio works in that area at all?

I've heard its supposed to be a blast. I've fished up there the last couple of summers and the area is beautiful and I love it up there.

How far of a run is it to kettle Falls motel from the Namakan narrows.

I don't have much experience with Sand Point or eastern Nam, but it is pretty hard to beat the western end of Kabatogama in late May and early June. It is a good opportunity to learn more of the park.

Wolfpack,

Check out the Voyageurs National Park web site. You will find links to maps of the park and they do a good job of locating the campsites. It will also tell you how many tent pads, fire rings, picnic tables, and bear lockers are available at each site. There is also a number you can call and they will send you the map so you can do a little planning ahead. I’ve been going to that area for a number of years now and I can say that I have never really had a bad “bug” year. I’m sure it can happen but for all of the stories you hear about bugs in Minnesota, I don’t think it is bad at all. The marine radio does pick up the weather station.