Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icechipper

Madison Lake Open Water by North Access

14 posts in this topic

Word is that there is open Water out from the North public access by where the rock pile is. Hole was about 10' around @ 5:30 pm, with the wind tonight it was likely to open up more. Drive safe.

That's really weird stuff--and scary too! I was fishing on the rockpile just last Sunday and everywhere I drilled found tons of ice. Lets keep on top of this and would be nice if someone could confirm. I know lot's of people are using the north access to get to all areas of the lake. Those people going to Millers and around the island best be heading out from the south landing. I'm planning on being out there this week-end and I'll surely update on anything I see.

Yes there is a hole open. It has been marked by the Madison Lake Fire Department. Not sure what caused it, but it is there.

It does have skim ice over it, so be careful.

Isn't that the same thing that happened on Cannon Lake a few years back?

Didn't they relate it to carp or something stirring up the water?

Is this hole next to the narrows??? I used the north access this morning and there were no signs of dark ice or a roped off area. The fishing was slow.

South and West of The Narrows.

Saw the roped off area and appreciate the work from the Madison Lake crew who went out and posted it. Pretty unnerving seeing this out there as I can almost say for certain that I drove right over this area less than a week ago. Thanks again for the heads up!

The hole is out in front of our family's lake home. We have been out there 25 years and have never seen open water there before. It would be interesting to know what is causing this. I too was driving over the same area 2 weeks ago.

My guess would also be carp. They opened holes on Medicine Lake last year. And another lake in Southern MN.

Ever Heard of Global Warming??

Too many houses and people on the lake using heaters caused a thermo-change in the underwater temp of the lake. Only way to cure it is to stay off the lake. If people continue to use the lake it will likely cause all the ice to disappear off the lake by mid April.

If that happens you won't be able to ice fish anymore.

Al GORE

The open water is a concern, no doubt, but that is flippin' hilarious!

Since Al Gore invented the internet, I'm sure he'll eventually take credit for the post. crazy.gif

We heard it was caused by rough fish, mainly carp. If I remember correctly, this happened on Elysian last year.

We've also heard people have seen dead shad in the lake. That's great for open water fishing. That would mean the walleyes would be hungry since one of their main food sources would be scarce. At least that's the theory! whistle.gif

This post is also available in the 'sticky' post, Daily Updates of Ice Conditions, at the top of this page.

I wonder, did anyone have a fishhouse in that area that had just been pulled off? A small bit of standing water with the wind we had could easily have opened up a hole.