Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
baldav

A little help

2 posts in this topic

A couple buddies and myself are going to try to hit the criox for the 1st time during the last day of the season (tomorrow, I believe). I fish the river during opener water and have never iced fish the river, or ice fished much at all. I was hoping that a couple of you could outline some access points to the river. (I fish the open water season from Hudson to Prescott). Obviously vehicle travel on a river requires an extra measure caution, but I would also appreciate it if some of you could provide some general rules on where travel would and wouldn't be advisable. Thanks for your help.

Take 94 and get off at the Hudson exit. Drive through Hudson into North Hudson. At the Gina Gas Station turn Left and head down to the River. There is a Park there that has access to the River. However be aware that you will be competing with about a million other people. Lots and Lots of Houses off the North Hudson entrance.

There is a Park (Beach) out of Bayport that has access to the river as well. U an bit real sure how to get there but you might ask at Jimmy's Bait Shop in Stillwater. They would know if anyone does.

Walleyes, Pike, Sauger, Bass etc. Close as of March 1st. However Panfish like Crappies, Sunfish, Perch, are open year round. And the ice ought to be good for at least a week or 2 depending on the weather. I would not try driving on the river after the 1st week in March, however. Nor would I fish the St. Croix north of Stillwater. The river gets very shallow and narrow and the current is a lot faster than South of Stillwater where the river is wider and the water sheltered by the Wing Dams.