• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Free agency

Eric Wettschreck

From Fox Sports:

Expected to take a plunge into free agency, the Minnesota Vikings aren't disappointing.

FOXSports.com has confirmed reports that Chicago wide receiver Bernard Berrian and Cincinnati defensive end Justin Smith are drawing strong interest. The Vikings hope to visit with both players today.

Signing Berrian and Smith would address two Vikings needs. Minnesota is lacking a veteran wideout to pair with quarterback Tarvaris Jackson, while Smith would fill the void created when starting end Kenechi Udeze was recently diagnosed with leukemia.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tisosy11

• Scott K

• james_walleye

• LMITOUT

It looks like they are making an effort to sign some of the big names, and fill some much needed positions. We will see whether they come through and step up and write the check! Also if these players actually want to come to MN, which seems to be our downfall lately!

I don't understand the hype around Smith. He's had a whopping total of 9.5 sacks in the last two seasons...

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

The Minnesota Vikings and San Francisco 49ers battled it out to convince Cincinnati Bengals defensive end Justin Smith to come in for a visit, and Smith has informed the 49ers he will make San Francisco his first stop.

Oh well, Smith probably figured, he would make a quick stop at the 49'ers before accepting a deal in MN.

Williams expected to sign later today

The Vikings have ironed out the parameters on a multi-year contract with S Madieu Williams, according to a person close to the situation.

Williams is expected to board a flight to the Twin Cities and arrive in the afternoon.

Terms of the deal are not known, at tihs time. But Williams may land a six-year deal that averages more than $5.3 million a year. Why that figure? That's what S Deon Grant got for jumping from the Jacksonville Jaguars last offseason to the Seattle Seahawks. Grant, who has not played in a Pro Bowl, got a six-year, $31.8 million contract that included $11.1 million in guarantees.

That probably means that Williams will get what I projected for his guarantees, around $12 million.

This is an excellent start to free agency for the Vikings. I've heard nothing but good things about Williams, most notably that he's smart and is very versatile.

Last season, he started 13 of 13 games, and he finished with 74 tackles, two sacks, seven passes defended and two interceptions.

He is 6 foot 1, 203 pounds, and he is 26 years old.

Cool fact: he was born in Sierra Leone.

I think Berrian would be a good fit. He's a solid 2nd receiver on most teams but on the Vikings he has a chance to be the number 1 guy. He can help develop Rice should the Vikes not be able to sign Ferg again. He doesn't have to be a big play guy, just someone who can make those 10-20 yard catches for 1st downs and also to get that 8th man back deep where he belongs.

The Vikings have reached a six-year agreement with Madieu Williams, formerly of the Bengals.

Experts say he's similar to a younger Darren Sharper, which means the Vikings have great ball skills and not a lot of thump at safety.

Word out of Houston" is that the Vikings and Texans have broken off talks about a possible trade involving Sage Rosenfels.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune suggests the Vikes may now turn their attention to J.P. Losman

I think I would rather have Losman than Rosenfels. Saw Losman do some good things in Buffalo(saw him do some bad things too!)

Oh snap - Vikes already splash with a big time safety!!!

Now get another in the draft and that looks nice...

Tapeh Agrees to Terms

2/29/2008

1 Free agent fullback Thomas Tapeh has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Vikings. Tapeh, a Twin Cities product who attended St. Paul Johnson High and played football at the University of Minnesota, was a fifth-round draft choice of the Eagles in

The thinking with Smith is that he had no help on the Cincinati line or the linebacking crew. He was the only healthy player and that his numbers will bounce back if he's playing alongside the Williams boys.

Originally Posted By: Rick
Word out of Houston" is that the Vikings and Texans have broken off talks about a possible trade involving Sage Rosenfels.

The Texans were asking for a 2nd round pick and the Vikes offered a 3rd.

Carolina traded DT Kris Jenkins to the Jets for a 3rd and 5th. Jets then signed Jenkins to a 5yr $35 million with $20 million guaranteed.

Adam Schefter beleives berrian will be a viking by this evening.

Also talks are that if Justin Smith leaves San Francisco hes as good as a viking!!! Unlikely he does though because sources say SF will blow him away...

Williams

Tapeh

Berrian

Smith

That would be a [PoorWordUsage] of a couple days!

I am impressed so far with the attempt alone to go after FA. Thats better then they have done in the past!

Josh McCown is on the radar as well...NOOOOOOOOOO, NOOOOOOOOOO the cardinals have knocked the vikings out of the playoffs, NOOOOOOOo

AHHA -

Javon Walker was released by the broncos...

I wouldn't mind Berrian, Walker, Rice, Wade, Allison as our pass catchers!!!

Free agent DE Justin Smith is expected to sign with a team within the next "48 hours."

Looks like he'll be picking between Cincinnati, Minnesota, and the 49ers, with the latter two teams the clear frontrunners. The Bengals seem to have acknowledged he's leaving by setting up visit with DE Antwan Odom.