• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

MINN KOTA VANTAGE????

DIRTY LEDGES

im thinkn of getting the 80# vantage for my 17'G3. is this a good motor?? heres the real debate, what side of the transom? everyone i see is on the right side, i think i have to go the other way. any advice or input would be great.

As far as transom trolling motors go, the Vantage is the cream of the crop. You'll be very happy with that purchase. As far as placement it really doesn't matter what side of the transom its on. It is all dependent on if there is a kicker motor, where electronics are, and preference.

Dan

I like it on the left. Im right handed so I run my tiller with the left hand and fish with the right. tiller throttle, trolling motor throttle, are all right there, ignition there, and all my electronics are right on the left side too, flasher, gps, radio, ect. I had the transom mount on the right for a while but you have to reach behing you more with left hand to use it. Id reverse all this set up if your left handed but thats just me!

Dirty,

I have my 80# Vantage on an Alumacraft that is probably similar to your G3. I absolutely love this motor, when it works. I have used mine 2 seasons now and have had it in the shop to be fixed 3 times. I keep being told it is a design flaw in the handle???? Guy at Fishlectronics (where it is fixed) said he sees a lot of Vantage's with the same problem. Not bad being under warranty, but might get spendy now if it keeps acting up out of warranty. Where you put it on the transom is personal preference, and for me was decided by what hand I like to run the motor with and what hand I hold the rod with. I did try and keep the transducers on the opposite side of the Vantage. The Vantage with White Cap splash guards is an awesome backtrolling combination.

Matt

Dirty-

I have a 74#-24v that I've had for 5+ years, it was expensive over 1k when I got it. I don't use it anymore (just collects dust in the garage)because I got tired of not having the power in the wind, and after a long day of fishing I had dead batteries. I ran it on a 17.5 ft fiberglass rig. I now run a 4 stroke kicker (yamaha) what a big difference, power and smooth. No regrets on the vantage, it is a great motor, but maybe it would work better on a lighter hull. I hope it does what you need.

Matt--I had some early issues with my Vantage, but is was because of user error. Broken handle ($140.00) after it swong on a very cold AM and hit the inside of the transom and shattered. Then I broke the mounting bracket after leaving it down then taking off-full throttle (230.00) that was covered under warrantee. I really like the 4/1 steering ratio. Good luck!

I had problems with a Minn Kota AP bow mount motor a couple years ago. I took it to the dealer where the boat package was purchased and they were no help since the warranty had expired already. From there I decided to go to the Minn Kota office in Mankato and their customer service was excellent. The lady at the front desk said the warranty was expired and it was probably gonna be an expensive fix. I decided to let them fix it and take the hit. When I picked it up a few days later they said they fixed the propeller motor and the steering motor...basically making it a new unit, when I asked what the bill was the guy at the service desk said they had it covered. So if you are able to get to the Mankato area easily you might have the best luck going to Minn Kota directly for repairs if the need arises.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

• 3 weeks later...

they finally have most of the bugs out, but you may have crimped wire issues, and handles issues. I have a spare for a reason and a vector for another spare for the spare ....for a reason, good luck

Sorry this has taken a while...

My problems ranged from not working at all to having dead spots when I would turn the motor from side to side. One time I got it stuck in the down position and it would not come back up. That made for a long ride across the lake to the launch.

Like I said before I was told it is the handle. I now put a bungee cord on the handle to insure it does not swing from side to side and smash into the side of the boat when running at WOT or in big waves.

Pushing both the UP and the DOWN switches simultanesously is a bypass to raise the motor! It will override the board and raise the motor. If the lift problem is mechanical, then that is another problem.

The steering issue (motor cutting out while steering) is related to the bullet connectors in the handle (from the handle board to the main control board). Bullet connectors make for easier service, but they don't make the best electrical connection. You may want to cut out the connector and solder the wires.

Originally Posted By: DIRTY LEDGES
im thinkn of getting the 80# vantage for my 17'G3. is this a good motor?? heres the real debate, what side of the transom? everyone i see is on the right side, i think i have to go the other way. any advice or input would be great.
'

we have sold a ton of these babies this year, and have had no to little problem