Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Canoemang

Little rock 2-28-08

9 posts in this topic

Got out on the ice about 12:00 this afternoon. Ended up getting into a mess of Crappies ranging from 6-8" in about 15 fow. All were caught on glow jigs with fresh waters shrimps. We also hit 1 sunny at 11", thing was a tank.. wish i got a picture but something about ice holes eating electronics sits in the back of my head.

Didnt keep anything because the crappie were to small and that lake has a sketchy past. You can still see the blue/green bloom in the water once you punch a hole.

Originally Posted By: Canoemang
We also hit 1 sunny at 11", thing was a tank

Ya right, not in that lake, did you release it or keep it for the wall?

Yup on Little Rock. I released it. If i were to get a mount it would be a replica. Hit 2 others last sunday one at 10" and another at 9".

I have yet to make up fish stories, no need to start now.

Those are some tanks Canoe. Way to go! Never really hear of sunnies out of the Rock, no reason to call you a liar though.

Originally Posted By: gopher_nation
Those are some tanks Canoe. Way to go! Never really hear of sunnies out of the Rock, no reason to call you a liar though.

Thanks.. Yea the sunnies werent in abundance but we had a few smaller ones. The little crappies were rampant though.

CM

Ya you never know what you will catch on Little Rock...I've caught a couple 9-10 in sunfish out there, so i believe that.. and some bonus walleyes mid day on tip ups too all C-R. Plus a bonus little carp which was really random

my buddy caught a random 14 in sucker out there fishing for crappies those sunnies are no lie either i was with when he(canoemang) caught the 9 and 10 we had caught a bunch of little crappies with a couple of bulls mixed in I didnt think that it was that odd to have some big sunnies mixed in with the craps

Backwaters of the Mississippi can produce some monster panfish! LR isn't the best backwater with the alge bloom/fishing pressure but you can still find some nice panfish if you know where to look....

ASMOLEY just wonder if some of the backwaters you are talking about would be like a bigger bay that has about 5 foot max depth and has weed growth there in the summer. Would you fish these in the late ice period because I have a spot in mind that I duck hunt and always wondered if there were pannies in the area.