Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
mrklean

Holding down spear house

mrklean

How do you guys hold down your spear houses when your not there? I have a smaller canvas house that i want to leave on the ice for next year and need an idea of how to keep it from blowing away in the wind? THanks

bassNspear

bank it will all the slush that you get from the hole when you cut it. This is what i do with mine, and seem to not have a problem with it at all

cherokee

On my light weight permanent I have two eyescrews (opposite corners)screwed into bottom of house with 2 feet of rope attached. I chisel or drill a hole and insert rope down hole and let it freeze in. The rope doesn't need to go down too far as this will make it easier to chisel out. Works great.

bassNspear

bad thing about that, is you forgetting about the rope, and tripping over it. That would be bad news.

blueberryum

Mrklean, if I were you I would do what cherokee said and tie it down. I definatly would not purposely freeze it in like bassnspear suggests, not a very good idea.

mrklean

that wouldnt be a bad idea, cause you know its gonna stay then. I saw this in one guys house once, he had a rope tide to a five gallon pale and put the pale in the water so the water held his house to the ice. WOuld that work you think?

glenn57

i see nothing wrong with letting a fishhouse freeze down. i have a 4x6 collapsable and most of the time it flat out happens anyway. just pop it loose with achisel.

cherokee

If you do as I suggested, make sure that you run the rope close to the house, not like setting up a tent to trip over. If you get the rope close to the house you will not have a tripping problem.

blueberryum

Do most of you guys bank your permenant houses with slush? And is it that easy to just "pop" your frozen in fishouse out of the ice??

B420

Blueberry,

Yes and Yes. I just put a few chunks of scrap 2x4's under each corner so I am about 4" off the ice. Just banks the house and you are ready to go. Took me about 1.5 minutes to get my permanent off the other day.

bassNspear

i never use a perm house. And the reason for it is becuase im always going to different lakes, and want to go to different spots.

Gordie

blueberry, I like B420 use the 2x4 trick and my perm sat in the same spot all season and on saturday it took about 5 to 8 min to chisel around the house and pop it up.

as for holding down a protable, Mills fleet farm sells the ice screws for portables and what I would do is drill a couple of small holes in the floor of the house and screw it down and if you had one buy the spear hole you could clip your spear rope to it. just a thought.

SpearPike

I use 4 X 6, 6 X 8, and 8 X 8 portables and I bank the houses with the slush and when i leave a put some of the ice blocks in the house for weight and they have not gone any where.

bassNspear

see im the same way. I block the whole house with the slush and snow from the hole, and it holds the house perfect for me.

glenn57

i use the slush from the hole only if there isnt any snow, which has happened a lot lately. again snow is my first choice to bank up my house.

bassNspear

ya, ither way, its going to hold the house from flying away

mrklean

a little off topic but i want to say i picked up a brand new spear this week, was coming back from red lake and in blackduck they had spears for 35% off. Got a really nice spear for only $45. Its one of those lasar cut ones or what ever you call it. I was really happy to pick up a nice spear, my first one to.

bassNspear

nice!!!! sad part is, you have to wait till next year

mrklean

haha i know, they had a number of spears there, i kinda wanted to buy another :P

Fish Toys
mrklean what brand of spear and where are the pictures? $45.00 sounds like a real bargain! grin.gif

mrklean

Not sure on the brand and the spear went home with my dad but tell me how to put pic on here and ill get some. I found the spear on ebay for $60 so ill put a pic of that one. I dont think you can put links to other websites on here, isnt it against forum policy or something but ill do it anyway.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]