Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lawdog

New Vehicle Break-In

12 posts in this topic

I've heard that break in on new vehicles is not as crucial as it used to be. Wondering what the mechanics think? Just traded the wife's '05 Trailblazer for an '08 Suburban LT3 and I'm wondering how much we should worry about engine break in.

Thanks!

Jeff

I usually use my mowing trucks up to when I trade them in, when I'm supposed to pick up the new one. Then unhook the trailer, hook up the new truck and go back to work, right at the dealer.

Sooooooo..... grin.gif

I'm pulling around a 24' enclosed trailer, hauling about 10k lbs.

The trailer only comes off the back when the plow goes on the front.

None, natta, zilch.

The only break-in in you going to have to do is the drivers seat, besides that follow the owner's manual recommended maint. schedule and all is cool.

Nice rig by the way. A little bite of an upgrade.

Agreed, drive it like you stole it! \:o

Ok, I will add a few things, try not to keep engine at one speed for extended time, dont over rev it, and change oil at about 1500-2000 miles. Besides that, drive it as you would drive your old vehicle! By the way nice truck!

Thanks guys. Yes its a sweet ride, I spoil her...BUT SHE HAS TO LIVE WITH ME!!!

You could not have said it better. grin.gif

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
Ok, I will add a few things, try not to keep engine at one speed for extended time

I have never heard a reasonable explanation for this? I was told the same thing from the sales guy at Toyota. When I asked him why his response was thats what the factory recommend. I left the lot opened her up set the cruise and arrived in Cook 3.5 hours later. whistle.gif

Ya your right airjer, on a vehicle it really doesnt apply as much, even if you set the cruise, the engine rpm and load constantly changes anyhow. I could see the arguement with things such as boat motors, that are designed to hold rpm steady with the controls. Most of the new vehicles out there have been programmed into the computer to run values of power and timing differently during the break in period.

i buy a new truck every 3 to 4 yrs. they tell me the same thing every time. to break it in drive like you always do.and i always drive like i stole it.

grin.gif

Not sure about the GM's but Ford motors are pre-run at the factory. No break in needed.