• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

grassy bay crappies

I am curious if anyone has been finding any crappies in the Grassy Bay area yet. With the goofy weather we have been having, the crappies have been starting to get active in other places. I am also curious about the condition of the over-land trails between Crane & Grassy. I haven't been in there since Mr. Green Jeans cited us for using 4-wheelers in April on frozen trails with no snow. We wanted to fish without damaging the snowmobiles. We did not want to break any park laws or damage the trails but that is another story...

Mike, we were upthere last weekend and got a few crappies but we had to sort to get some keepers. As for the condition of the land trail you can get by but they need some more snow as the dirt really came through after last weekends warm temp. This weekend is Hyper Viper Races so I am sure they will get beat up even more.

Thanks Neiko. We chose to go west instead of north this weekend because of the races. I may ping this one again later this month to check conditions.

I talked wit ha guy that lives up there and they are gettting fished already, how they are doing not sure but man if the pace keeps up from the last couple years there are not going ro be any left soon. I have already noticed over the last year they are getting smaller and smaller. We talked about it last night and if half the people went home with their limit there was around 150 fish a day leaving the water not to mention the ones that die from the pressure change. I hope people so some conservation and don't keep all the larger ones or all there will be is a bunch of 5-6 inchers.

That spot like most others has gone through cycles for years. It will get pounded for a year or two, the fishing dies off or they get smaller and people leave it alone. Like I posted earlier, I haven't been to the park for about 10 years since a bad experiance we had and I was curious how the fishing has been. Folks must be keeping it hushed up if we haven't heard anything about Grassy Bay for a while.

Was down there this past weekend. Some people fishing but very few being caught from what I saw. You guys are right the average size has gone down over the years probably from all the pressure. Don't forget they also get fished in the spring and fall pretty heavily too, which doesn't help either. Hopefully the limit going down from 30 to 10 will help reduce the harvest some.

Duckster

Originally Posted By: magnum mike
Folks must be keeping it hushed up if we haven't heard anything about Grassy Bay for a while.

Yeah Mike that is trend big time for a Minnesotan, especially for up north. If you do find some nice crappies or bluegills by yourself you keep it hush. Otherwise plan on having a crew sitting next to you the next time you go out there. IMO to many small lakes (1200 acres or smaller) are posted in weekly reports in the Outdoor News, Outdoors Weekly, Minnesota Sportsman and various other imformation venues (radio, internet). Word of mouth doesn't help either but thats how it goes, you watch who you give your information out to then. But there are still plenty other big panfish out there, just gotta put your time in and find em.

I agree that "information" gets around too fast. It used be that someone would spout off in the bar and it took a few weeks to see the crowds on these smaller lakes. By then, the bite had slowed down on its own and no big deal. Now with all the outdoor venues you mentioned, 1000's of people are exposed to the information almost instantly.

A prime example is based on the FM sites. I have a friend in the sporting goods business. He said "What is the big deal with Berkley Power Minnows and Chubby Darters lately? I can't keep them on the shelf." I told him about the Red Lake and LOW forums and he got a big kick out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I would bump this once. The word is the crappies are starting to get active in the area. How are the over-land trails to get into Grassy? Reports from either direction (Crane or Ash River) would be welcome. I like to catch fish but not at the expense of tearing up my sled.

If you check out the webcam there were a few sleds parked out in front of Voyageuraire. They are suppose to get 1-2 inches of snow tonight.

The sleds in the front are rental sleds. The portages are starting to get pretty beat up. Really muddy in the spots where the sun shines. The bit has been marginal. Lots of small ones.

I was up there today...burned up a fairly new set of slides on the way there. Snow is really hard unless you go right up to shore. Crappies were not biting, fished from 7:30 - Noon and picked up 3 between 2 guys. Portages are BAD! 85% bare ground and mud on the way back. I wouldn't take a sled up there that you care about alot. 2 other partys out there, they didn't do any better than we did.

Take it easy- Erik

Yeah the portages are getting pretty beat up and dirt coming throung fast. I went last weekend and did ok but the average size was about 8inches pretty small. A few more warm days and the trails will be nothing but dirt.

Chadnev,

You that local guy whos dad is a fishing guide?

We had some snow last night and it made going a little better. We will probably have good going through this weekend unless we get some warm weather. They are catching a few crappies in Grassy Bay but most of what I have seen are little dinks, hardly worth all the effort. I think there is just too much pressure on that population to maintain any quality size.

duckster

I agree with the pressure being just to much for the population to hold up, the size is down and I havn't heard of many pounding them like the days of old. Was up two weeks ago and we did alright but it was tons of fun just getting out wit hthe squad and then the airplanes came. There where 12 of them parked all in a row on the ice something not a lot of people get to see. They where buzzing the tower so it was fun inbetween fish. Good luck ont the ice and watch out driving to close to the edge to find snow because that is the ice that goes first. Good luck!

The planes where flying back and forth about 30 feet up "buzzing the tower" the tower being us and everyone else out on grassy that day. It was really cool and quite the change from a usual day fishing where I try to stay away from noise and others.

Jeff,

OK got it. Glad I missed it. I go out for peace and quiet and a bunch of airplanes buzzing around would be irritating.Good luck fishing.

Duckster