• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Why do people care...

MNice

Question

I've been on this site for years and one thing that has baffled me is, why do some people care so much about a brand that another person has. Look at all the ford/chev, marcum/vexilar, strikemaster/jiffy wars that has gone on. Why on earth do some get so whipped up about what somebody else likes, or dislikes? If you like brand X and I like brand Y, I sure as heck ain't going to rip you a new rear end for it, and I hope you do the same for me, but some people continue to do just that and I don't understand the concept confused.gif

Thanks, I feel better now..

23 answers to this question

People are opinionated. What I dont understand is why people dont use search functions instead of restarting the chevy/Ford debates. I bet the Marcum/Vex debate happens at least five times a fishing season.

I think its happened 5 times since new years.

Some people think that their OPINION is the only right one and that the world is lacking if it doesn't hear theirs. Thats the problem with opinions, everyone has at least one.

I think its great that people are able to come to sites like this and express their opinions and help others learn from their experiences. Its important to keep your opinion based in fact and don't use it to attack another persons opinion.

I know I've done this before and I really try not to. Its easy to want to correct someone who's written something false, but unless you've got facts and proof, you end up looking like you're fighting over it and then you both look stupid.

Its an internet forum, isn't that what it is for to get different opinions and information about things you have questions about??

Some people are really passionate about one product or another and at times, will go to any length to support their ideas and their passion for that particular product. Others that are very knowlegable about a certain product will chime in to correct someone if they see that something was mis-represented. Some people simply like to debate while others will debate until they are blue in the face. Sometimes someone might have simply had a bad day at work and it gets carried over onto here. And for some people, the world just isn't right unless there is something wrong.

There could be all kinds of different reasons why someone will support product X and others will support product Y. Typically though, you can weed through the argumentative parts of a post/thread and pull out the important parts to help make your decision or answer your question.

What, my opinion is the "Best".

LOL, just Josh'in ya.

To add further to what Powerstroke said, everyone should try and keep an open mind when it comes to anything. If you do not, you are missing out on a lot of stuff in life. Straight and narrow thinking can lead you down a easy path in life, but (IMO) is pretty boring. All though, it is ones right to think and do what they please.

I take no offensence at anything I read on these forums. I repsond to posts the best way I can and try not to go over the top.

Do what you like and keep an open mind, if not you might miss something good in life, plus you could have a little more fun.

You guys are thinking to much, it just goes back to the days of "My old man can beat up your old man". And has progressed from there. \:D

I disagree it is a "my old man can beat up your old man" thing. Yes some people get a little worked up when they feel the majority of the opinions run against what they own etc. This is not a forum problem but a personal problem.

If you look back on any of these discussions it ALWAYS starts with someone asking what our opinions are on a specific product. And all everyone is doing is giving there opinion of there experience with said product. If some people get worked up because most peoples opinions are different than the product they chose so be it. That is there problem not the problem of the forum.

Of the people answering these posts, I think 2/3rds believe (or want to believe) in the product they bought and want to provide information to others. The other 1/3 rd answering these posts are pro-staff types that are supposed to provide positive information on the products they promote.

Well....when it comes to the Garmin vs Lowrance debate I don't get worked up because I'm in the minority....I just feel sorry for the rest of you. grin.gif

Seriously, even the opinions in reply to this thread have started a debate, haven't they?

Bob

Edit: Sorry, needed to correct some grammer.

Sponsor promotion has nothing to do with anything. Staff give their honest opinion about stuff they know about, sponsor or not.

How many times have you seen positive posts from staff regarding Lowrance, Garmin, Strikemaster, Jiffy, Eskimo, Fischer, Starcraft, Gander Mountian, etc? If you go back and look you will see many.

I'd like to think people who makes posts about equipment are sharing their first hand, field tested, opinion. To me, that's way more valuable than an ad in the fishing magazine. Why do people care? I care as I'd hate for someone to ask my opinon of a piece of equipment, get a good review from me, drop a fortune on it, and hate it.

In my opinion, fishingminnesota is the best forum website out there. Anyone want to post another opinion? grin.gif

Its called brand loyalty and corporations spend millions of dollars to create it.

It also helps people feel good about their purchases if they can explain why they made the choice they did.

Cabin Fever... Just wait until the boat and motor questions start again in spring \:\) ha!

I think a lot of if has to do with having to justify a purchase and that is understandable. Money doesn't grow on trees, at least not in my backyard.

Honestly there are very few really bad products out there. That is why these things get heated. They are all good grin.gif Nobody is really wrong, yet nobody is really right.

When I decide to purchase something. I ask people whom I respect and know would give me good info and also do a lot of research to see what features work best for me.

Heck some of the decision is that if I have the same stuff as my buddies, it makes things much easier at times.

One thing I've learned is that paying for quality usually is a good choice and ends up costing less over the long run.

I have stated, and will continue to, that the reason I like this site is the fact that I can get so many varried opinions. Some come from people I have now met and have seen how they fish, or how they use thier equipment and can compare that to the way I fish, or how I use my stuff. This just gives me a reliable, and semi tested feeling.

I have worked in sales for years. I sold air for many of those years. Yes air, hard to sell something that you can't see, but I did. I can give you 387 different lines of why to buy it, if you are shopping, so why would you buy from me? I sold off of personality, I sold off of referrance, I sold off of verified service and and a solid record.

I feel like this site gives me some of those things. Being a salesman I, like I said could give you any line you want to hear. As can any good salesman at any box store or sporting goods store. How do I know they have really used it? I don't, unless they convince me. On here, I truly believe that most of the people on here really do use these products, and most of them really do have a valid expierience with those uses. So what more could I ask for, but tried, tested and REAL opinions.

Do I sometimes feel like I am getting the "pitch" for something.... Yep. Do I take some opinions with a grain of salt.... Yep. Am I guilty of maybe buying something because one or many others here talked me into something... Yep. Do I regret any of that, maybe even if it doesn't work the same for me? Nope. Heck, don't tell me you never tried something that was bad.... Everybody bought the new coke for a while.... that stuff was gross, you have to believe in a product yourself, or at least believe in the person telling you about it enough that you trust it.

Only you can figure out what you really justify.

Because I buy the best and if you dont buy what I do your owning 2nd's. grin.gif (Joke of course)

Well, the sooner the rest of you accept the fact that Ford, Lund, Ski-Doo, Strikemaster, Marcum, and Mercury are the best, the sooner we can end this debate and rest easy. ;\)