• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

LOWRANCE H2O C (NEED INPUT)

A Buddie & I are looking to purchase the H2O GPS. Is the color worth the extra Franklin, and also which card should we buy Lake Maps or Nav. card. All info on this unit is very appreciated.

I just recieved the H20 C for Christmas and I love it. I bought the Lake Master Chip and it works great for me. I have since looked at the H20 B & W and IMO the color is the only way to go. I love the options the color gives you and the clarity is awesome. The H20 locks on to Sattelites quick and responds quickly to direction changes.

Just my .02

DL

I like mine alot but havn't played with it much. Lakemaster in mine. It's nice for scouting and bear hunting. Up north it shows all the state land. I guess it shows that and alot more. It's crazy what these things can do. Way too advanced for me more than likely.

I bought an H2Oc last summer and I think it's great. I find it easier to read than my black & white GPS. I bought mine on EBAY, brand new, and at the time it was $75 cheaper than at Cabela's or Scheels. As far as what brand of chip to buy, that's up for debate. We use a Lakemaster, all you have to do is plug the chip in and it's ready to use.

I have the color unit. It has a slightly higher resolution than the B&W and has 4 more WAAS channels. Diplay isibility can be an issue in bright sun, but that could be the case for all units. I have the Lakemaster chip for MN (2007). That is my preferred chip because it loads and refresheres quicker than the Navionics, has a better basemap, especially the roads, and most importantly, it has a WAY better zoom than the Navionics. The advantage of the Navionics is that it has more lakes on the chip. If you will be using the chip in a Lowrance plotter or graph for your boat, then give it some consideration, but if you are going to strictly use it on your H2O, then don't bother. In some lakes with steep breaks, the Navionics chip does not zoom in as much as the lakemaster and you are left with a cluster of lines sandwiched together. In the lakemaster chip, there would be seperation between the contour lines, due to the better zoom.

there's my $0.02

I have a H20 B/W. I have sun issues when it is really brite. I have the Navionics Chip with ND, MN , SD because I fish all 3 places and use my GPS when in BOat, ICe, Land, ATV, vehicle at work. The only time I have real problems is when it is super Bright outside like last weekend. When comparing mine to a COlor one Dead had with him I could read his easier in the sun.

I love my color unit -- do you need color? No. I just didn't like the looks of the B/W -- hard on my eyes -- sounds dumb, I know.

If you don't mid the B/W then that is the way to go. Clear as mud?

Originally Posted By: Paul
When comparing mine to a COlor one Dead had with him I could read his easier in the sun.

good to know, thanks for posting that paul

Well, I must be all messed up in the head compared to the other posters. I have the non-color model and find it much easier to read in sunlight compared to the colored model...unless you have the colored units light activated. This past weekend a buddy and I were on LOTW and I looked at his H2oC and it was very nice..but I could only really read it in the sun light if the light was activated.....but my non-color unit seemed to be just fine. I would suggest you go to the local sporting goods store and compare them side by side and see what works best for you. Also, I have the LakeMaster chip and think its worth the money.

Take care

Cliffy

I have looked at both the color and the non color. I ended up buying the color i have been very pleased with it. The clarity on the lakemaster chips seem alot clearer and more defined then on the non color model.

I just got one and did the same stuff your doing, which one which chip, should i wait. well i didnt wait and got a decent deal, i got the 06 navionics chip and it does everything i need it to do, if your looking for a specific lake, go to thier website and check out if they have it, if they dont look for the chip that has it, unless all you fish are the big ponds (red, milacs,) i heard that one of the chips (dont know which one) doesent have all of LOW and mine does so i dont kno whwat that means for sure, but ya, but for the 220 that i paid for the chip and unit i seem very pleased. they guy at scheels said the color unit moved faster -- Horse hockey the only nice thing is the 4 extra waas recievers. and when it comes to battery who cares, use a deep cell with your lighter attachment.

Thanks guys for all your inputs. I think it will be the "C" with the lakemaster chip. I am going to the sportsmans show this weekend at the dome. WTN4ICE and I and about 15 of use are going to Devils Lake next weekend, and I borrowed a B/W H2O from a friend with a Navionics chip. Trying to figure this out will be a challenge. Thanks everyone for your opinions.

If you are at the sportsmans show, stop buy the FM Obediance School display on the upper level if you wish to say hello. I have a brown dog that is half boxer half greyhound. His name is Elvis, most people there can point you in the right direction.

I will be there Friday night, Saturday noon-3 and at 6:30 and sunday afternoon.

Originally Posted By: CHLIQ69
A Buddie & I are looking to purchase the H2O GPS. Is the color worth the extra Franklin, and also which card should we buy Lake Maps or Nav. card. All info on this unit is very appreciated.

I have a H2OC and find it is very hard to read in direct sunlight. The B&W units are much easier to read in direct sunlight. Also the B&W are much easier on batteries. Take a look at both displays befor making your decision.

A note on the MN Nav.chips is that many of the maps are copies of DNR maps and are not very accurate. See which chip will meet your needs.

I am the buddie CHLIQ69 is talking about & had a bit of good luck last night.I was in Washburn ND & put 20.00 in the jar & pulled out 300.00 so an H2OC is on the way to me.I found it online for 219.99 inc shipping.The way I see it it cost me 20.00.Add a MN chip & we are in business.

CHLIQ69 thinks that WTN4ICE should give the left over cash to him for his H20, that way CHLIQ69's H20 will not cost him so much. What do you think WTN4ICE

If you're not colorblind, buy the color model. better definition for sure.

To get used to it, take it everywhere you go for 2-3 weeks. set waypoints for your house, work, WalMart, restaurants, gas stations, turn your breadcrumbs into routes that you save. use the reverse route feature. Try the north up mode and then the track up mode to see what makes more sense to you. Use it non stop for those 2-3 weeks and you'll have it down.

Also, there's a "simple menu" feature. I would suggest using that mode at first.

And now that you have a GPS, be sure to ask everyone on the FM site for their favorite waypoints. \:\)

Good luck,