Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassNspear

Popular Spearing Lakes in 2008

59 posts in this topic

I am just starting to get ideas about next year for the Spearing Get-to-Gators. I know that we are like 259 days away, but its better to start now then ever.

What im looking for is to get some ideas as to where most of you have been over the last few years. Clear lakes, with some fish in them.

I did alot of fishing in the west metro.

id like to suggest a lake you dont need a gps and cordinates to find it. what about big lake again, or is variety the order for the day?im easy pick it if it fits my busy schedule i will go. what about horseshoe chain water clarity could be issue. another would be lake calhoun south of hawick mn east of new london. lotz of nords and connected to green lake and always clear.

calhoun did pretty good this last winter

now you tell me. hows it in the summer? we have a camper at old wagon and its on one of my sumer to do lakes. another get-to-gater lakes could be maple lake on hwy 55 by the town of maple lake.

i want to make sure that we get some lakes that we know are going to be clear, and we will see fish as well.

You are talking about a day event right? How about Big John or Clearwater by Annandale.

yes, a all day event is correct

Maple Lake and John in Wright county sound good. Lotsa numbers of little hammerhandles to thin down. There are a lot of good lakes in Wright county that would make good candidates. Away from the cities so you don't have all the people out on the water that might get near the holes and interrupt the event but also some good pike waters. Central and close enough for many members to attend.

Not too sure about Calhoun. Yes spearing is lawful there, but what happens if some first timer comes out and nails a Tiger? Bad for the first timer, bad for the lake, bad for the event, bad for FM.

ya, i was thinking the same thing on Calhoun. Thats a great lake, but not for spearing.

the calhoun lake im talking about is in kandiohi county west of paynesville andeast of spicer. ive never seen the lake not clear enough to spear and to the best of my knowledge no musky. lotz of bass, oops i said bass to bns, and little sunfish and crappiies.

by the way these are just my 2 cents worth of opinions.

easy on the bass glenn, i thought you were talking about the other Calhoun. Ill keep this one in mind.

i think that calhoun freezes up earl also. like i said maple lakeis kind of central for people. i have seen some huge bass in that lake while spearing (calhoun).

well ill keep it in mind

Clearwater would be a very good spot to have a Get-to-Gator. The lake is clear, given its name, and some nice fish always seemed to be pulled out of there. Also pretty easy to get to.

i had this lake on my mind. This would be a good lake to have it on i think

I fished for pannies on pelican in between monticello and buffalo and talked with a couple of guys that said water was really clear and they had seen alot of fish and also talked with a few guys that flaged a lot of pike. I know that I will be spending more time on it next ice season with spear in hand.

thats a good idea as well.

I think there is alot of lakes out there, like i said, i just want to make sure that were getting a clear lake for everyone

bns, did you decide on a lake yet? its only 9 months away you know. hehehe! sorry couldnt resist.

HA HA HA

no, im going to keep it a secret till its 3 months away!!!

Don't make me yell at you again next year. grin.gif

ok,ok, i guess i will just have to wait then. so now that spearing is over do you do any winter angling?

i dont, im getting ready for the soft water season.

thats an aweful lot of down time. but then getting ready for a wedding should help pass the time.

hey bns, i drove past maple lake the other day so i drove on the acess off hwy 55. they have a sign that asks you to please take a limit of northerns. now if thats not an invite for a spearing get-to gator i dont know what is. just a thought.