Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
arcticcat400

catalytic converters

9 posts in this topic

i have a 1997 chevy z71 and wondered if it would cause any problems to remove the cats i know its illegal but this is not for on road use i was just wondering if it would cause any mechanical problems to remove them

Why???? Unless you're running Las Vegas this weekend, you will never notice the cat's gone. It's not worth the Federal Offense of running without the cat.

Mechanical problems? Not really so much as performance problems.

The fuel injection system bases its need for more or less fuel on readings taken from the O2 sensors. With no cats those readings will be wrong and the result will be worse performance, worse mileage and check engine lights on all the time. Basically no positive gains and extra work for you.

If you do remove them, and I dont recommend it, what you can do to bypass the light being on, and the fuel trim issues, is put a programmer in it, and get some dummy plug o2 sensors.

FYI- The reason it is illegal to remove them is because of emmisions. Engines do not run on an opitimized combustion process, do to metallurgical reasons (Complete combustion would create too high of temperatures). So as a result they give the engine excess gasoline. Since there is excess gasoline that does not combust it goes out the exhaust. The catalytic converter is there to burn off all the excess hydrocarbons(gasoline) that were not combusted in the combustion process.

UMD,

What 4wandering said, corrects the issue (to a point).

The End sick.gif!

I do not want to get caught up in catalytic whirl wind thread again grin.gif.

It is illegal to remove the cats and I do not recommend it.

Sorry, i don't claim to know everything, or even very much sometimes. I just thought i would chime in with some info i have learned in class.

Great post UMD- all I know about cats is when they become clogged, your exhaust gets red hot and ends up burning up your valves and such, and ruins your engine (dont ask me how I know... I miss that truck haha)

Yes it is illegal to tamper with any federally mandated emission component. Although it is not actively enforced at this time we are still on the honor system. I am not doubting your use of the vehicle as "off road only" but we have no way of verifying this therefore making it irresponsible on our part to give any recommendation on how to do it or how to fool the PCM into thinking everything is o.k.

If your intentions are as you posted than the emissions laws may not necessarily apply to that vehicle however the vehicle may no longer be licensed to operate on any roadway in the country. The only way that it could be licensed (or sold as an on road vehicle) is if the emissions system is restored to the O.E. or O.E. equivalent according to the emissions laws at the time of manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: doughnut03
Great post UMD- all I know about cats is when they become clogged, your exhaust gets red hot and ends up burning up your valves and such, and ruins your engine (dont ask me how I know... I miss that truck haha)

There should have been plenty of warning signs before that happened. ;\)