Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
chaos69

ice fishin at arcadia

chaos69

Last weekend we stayed at arcadia resort and we slayed the crappie. we were lake hoppin from there place up to bigfork hitting maple and bello lakes and a couple of real tiny pot holes in between. we really liked those cuz you can only get to them by sled and we were the only ones out there.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• kelly-p
      Unfortunately they have not found them yet. Freeze up  with the thin ice has really hampered the search. Too much ice for boats and not enough to travel on. As the ice thickens the searchers are working their way deeper. Such a sad situation.
    • KidMoe
      I’m hoping I can get some advice from you fine folks. I’m looking to install a small electric winch on my snowmobile trailer to load my skid house. I’m wondering if I can power it off the 7 pin connector?  From what I can find, my truck is fused at 10 amp and most of the winches I’m finding pull somewhere around 50 to 60 amps at 1500 lbs or so. I’m wondering what I could do to still run it off the 7 pin. Do I need to add a battery? Maybe a capacitor? i appreciate any thoughts you might have!
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I spotted them also this evening out from McKinley. A few more days yet before I will give it a try! Cliff
    • Spearing Machine
      First fisherman seen trying their luck today out from McKinley park access and Stuntz Bay access. 
    • Wanderer
      Definitely not surprised with this change. One might as well license the wheel house anyway.  Keeping it legally “occupied” is a pain just to avoid buying the license.
    • Rick
      A public meeting to discuss a draft transition plan for Hill Annex Mine State Park will take place Thursday, Nov. 30, from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Calumet City Hall, 932 Gary St., Calumet. Legislation in 2017 guided five local partners (DNR, Iron Range Resources and Rehabilitation Board, Itasca County, City of Calumet and the Western Mesabi Mine Planning Board) to work on an alternate operating model for local management and operation of the Hill Annex Mine. The work group has concluded that operation of the site as a park under any jurisdiction is extremely unlikely and is proposing a feasibility study to explore other local economic development opportunities that preserve the history of Hill Annex Mine, promote existing amenities along the Mesabi Trail, and better connect the cities of Calumet and Marble. At the public meeting, the work group will hold a facilitated discussion to review feedback on the draft project report. The report will be submitted to the 2018 Legislature. Interested members of the public are welcome to attend and participate in the discussion. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • JerkinLips
      I am a lazy angler, so winter fishing suits me fine.  I typically fish with pike suckers or chubs on a plain #6 hook 6" off the bottom, and do just fine on ice.  As they said, the best bite times are sunrise-10:30am and 3:00pm-sunset; although I do occasionally catch some in the middle of the day.  I have caught very few walleyes after dark.
    • bbfenatic
      Ice is 4-5" on smaller lakes in DL area...got some nice crappies and one large Gill 10.75" on a quick trip out yesterday morning before the Vikes game...best bite was 7-9am
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources today released a new plan guiding management of the Sand Dunes State Forest near Zimmerman for the next five years. The revised operational plan arose from a series of meetings with local landowners, conservationists and others.  “After hearing stakeholder concerns about the original 2013 plan, we led an extensive public engagement process that informed this revised approach,” said Forrest Boe, director of the DNR Forestry Division. “The new plan does a good job of balancing a variety of values and interests.” The revised plan addresses stakeholder concerns about timber management, recreational opportunities, forestry roads, and School Trust land management, as well as addressing rare species management. The plan also addresses several specific concerns that arose during the public engagement process, such as aesthetic considerations related to timber harvests next to private lands, and tree management within the Ann Lake Campground. The operational plan is based in sound natural resource science and reflects the DNR’s goal of sustainable forest management for economic, environmental, and recreational benefits. The plan shortens the management timeframe from 50 years in the 2013 plan to 10 years. It also provides more direction related to recreation, School Trust lands, and forest roads. Science-based adaptive management tools will be used to inform decisions on restoring, protecting, and managing rare plants and wildlife. “The DNR will continue to engage with people interested in the Sand Dunes State Forest through regular updates and meetings,” Boe said. “We want to build on the relationships we’ve developed over the past year and a half.” Sand Dunes State Forest, established by the Minnesota Legislature in 1945, consists of about 6,000 acres that are owned and managed by the state. It features a variety of plant communities and landscapes—including pine plantations, rare sand dunes, wetlands, woodlands, oak savanna, and prairie. It is home to more than two dozen rare plants and animals. Located in Sherburne County about an hour northwest of the Twin Cities, it is the closest state forest to the Twin Cities metro area. The forest is a popular recreation destination for hikers, horseback riders, hunters, campers, and others. The revised plan, along with further information about the public engagement process, can be found on the project website at mndnr.gov/forestry/sand-dunes/index.html. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources has issued its annual ice safety warning for lakes with winter aeration systems.  Aeration creates areas of thin ice and open water that are extremely hazardous to people and pets. Open water areas can shift or change shapes depending on weather conditions, and leaks may develop in airlines, creating other areas of weak ice or open water. The updated list of aerated lakes and more information is available at mndnr.gov/eco/lakeaeration. “We’re urging people to use caution anytime they venture onto lake ice, especially at night,” said Amanda Yourd, DNR hydrologist and aeration coordinator. “Extreme care should be taken on aerated lakes. Watch for the large orange and black warning signs at high use public accesses and the required thin ice signs around open water areas.” Aeration systems help prevent winterkill of fish populations by adding oxygen to the lake, and in certain situations to protect shorelines from ice damage. They are generally operated from the time the lakes freeze until the ice breaks up in the spring. About 280 lakes will have aeration systems operating on them this winter. Private hatchery operators also use aeration systems, usually on small lakes without public accesses. A permit from the DNR is required to install and operate an aeration system. Permit holders must publish public notices, post warning signs, and inspect the systems at least once every seven days. Liability insurance is generally required of private groups or citizens operating aeration systems in protected waters. Watch for notices in your local media identifying aerated lakes in your area. DNR staff ensure permittees comply with all requirements and regularly inspect systems for safety. Some municipalities may have ordinances that prohibit entering into the thin ice marked area and/or prohibit the night use of motorized vehicles on lakes with aeration systems in operation.  These local regulations are often posted at accesses where they apply. Questions concerning aeration or thin ice can be answered by calling a regional or area fisheries office or the Department of Natural Resources toll-free at 888-MINNDNR (888-646-6367). Discuss below - to view set the hook here.