Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mskyfshntchr

depths of pannies

13 posts in this topic

Going to be up visiting my in-laws this weekend and am going to try and get some fishing time in. They live on Lake Charlotte, so I will probably fish there. Just wondering if you are seeing the fish suspended in deep water or if they are moving up into the shallows.

Thanks!

Was out there about a week ago, caught 3 crappies in the 4"-6" range. Fished in the bay over the 26' hole. I think spring after ice out is a better option for the sunfish. Have never caught much for size in the winter months. I have caught nice crappies in the winter, but you have to pick through them. Good Luck!

Obviously, all lakes are different as far as structure and depths. I fished all last weekend in about 18 fow for pannies and they were anywhere from 3 feet off the bottom to 6 feet under the ice. This was not on a local lake though. hope this helps some.

Bus

doom- driving all over the bay with vehicles? how much ice? i am deciding if i need to bring up the sleds or can just bring the truck and leace the trailer at home.

thanks!

The bay is fine to drive trucks on. Ice down to the auger head. I have heard from others that there are springs somewhere once you go out of the bay on to the bigger part of the lake. I have no idea where, so I just stay off the bigger part of the lake until ice off.

Better hope it is cloudy,Charlotte is a pretty darn clear lake,but if you want murky you can always slide over too Beebe or Martha if it is sunny out.

sure coulda used less windy Friday..oh well. this morning went to a little lake- i have no idea even what the name was...but the bluegills were going wild!!! Tons of smaller fish, nothing huge, but some 8" fish if you worked at it. Got enough for a meal!! If you got some small kids and want them to get into some fish, shoot me a message.

Been on Beaver quite a bit, a little farther north of you but still your typical small round basin lake. Fish are 3-6 feet off the bottom in 20-26 feet and seem to be everywhere. Minnows one day, gulp nuggies the next, wouldn't go out without both.

Doom, where are you entering the lake at? the ramp on the north side?

Yep. Its a the DNR access on the north side of the lake. It is a little tricky ot launch the boat in the summer.

Thats for sure, I can just turn around with my truck. Would have to back down the hill with my Ranger in the summer.

It has always been a bad access as far as summer fishing. People still go there though. I have seen trucks with trailers parked from the bottom to the top of the hill in the spring/early summer. Good lake for action, not much for size. 2 years ago my buddy had stuck his thumb with a spinner bait tring to get a northern of the hook. It was so bad I had to land the boat and bring him to Monticello hospital to get it removed. Only 5 shots of novakine(I think thats how you spell it) and it was out. His thumb was twice the size for 1 month, not kidding you. Dangerous Pike pike out there. Thank god it was only about 18" long!!!

DOOM, that would be novacaine.Not trying to be the spelling police here, or anything.Just trying to lend a hand. grin.gif