Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pigashalaka

crowrock inlet

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I did a post on this topic earlier in the year, but ice conditions were not ready yet. A few of us are going to head up to crowrock inlet and from there travel east to redgut for some walleye/crappie fishing. I have done well in that area in the late fall for crappies and am wondering if those crappies relate to the same patterns as in October?

Also, I am wondering how much ice we can expect (need extensions?) and how much snow is on top. I have heard good ice and some hard snow drifts? Any lures or tips would also be appreciated or areas to avoid due to current/bad ice.

Can one get into Porter's this time of year as well or is that a no-no due to current. Thank you very much, Rainy Lakers!

Pig

Hey Pig, you are just in luck I was in that area this weekend.

The crappies will be in similar areas that you found them in the fall, you may have to drill around a little bit to find them, but they are there.

Extensions are not needed as of this point. I have a Jiffy 3 horse, 10" and I still had 3 or 4 inches until the power head.

The ice is good, but there are alot of really hard snowdrifts. During the snowmobile ride we got beat to death by these things. We also had a fourwheeler with, that had to problem in the snow, but if those drifts ever soften up, that could be a problem. There is probably 3-8 inches of snow on top of the hard stuff.

Avoid Bears Pass, underneath the bridge at Crowrock, and the Narrows at Deer Island...Ice is not good in these places. Other than those places you will be fine.

Good Luck and Have fun!

Tearin'----

Thanks for the information. I run the same auger as you, so I shouldnt have any trouble.

I assume the crappies are suspended?? Like 10 feet off bottom. Any lures seem to work best? Waxies or minnows? Aggressive or lighter bite? Just want to be prepared for them.

Thanks a ton!

Pig

Crappies were kinda slow, but I just wanted to recommend staying the Falls Motel. Service was excellent and the owners were very friendly! Thanks for a great stay, see you for sturgies in April!

Pig

Thanks Pig enjoyed having you.

Kelly