• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Suggestions for girls 1st deer gun

cherokee

It's been legal as long as I've ever known. I'm not "uncomfortably close to 50", by let's just say 40's in the rearview mirror. My Uncle's in his early 60's & he used one when he started hunting at like 13 or so.

My mother hunted with a .410 all of her life. She has shot many deer with it.

At a close range, it is just as deadly as any other gun. People feel like they always need such a high caliber gun. You don't, if your shot is accurate and you are confident in your gun.

The .410 in our home has shot over 30 deer. My mom passed away a few years ago...and my dad was proud that the gun was in use again this year...and got yet another deer.

And, you don't blow a HUGE hole in the deer either.

My niece was 50 yards away when she shot at her deer this year. The shot still went through the deer and made a killing shot.

I still remember the days of deer hunting when "Bang", a shot rang out. It was the distinctive sound of the .410

It was a bolt action, and my mom would rarely get more than one shot off....

And, nearly every time we heard the shot...there was mom...and her dead deer.

She hated that we all knew when she missed...for we all knew the sound of her gun. But, she did not miss often. Her first shot was deadly.

i got a remmington 870 express 12 gauge its nice and works great i have had it for 4 years

If they are worried about the jolt of the recoil, you can get the gel buttstock pads that will replace the stock pad. I put one on my 12 ga a few years ago because I had seperated my shoulder in an accident 2 mos before pheasant opener. It worked fantastic, almost zero felt recoil from a 3" 12ga.

Speaking strictly rifles, any thoughts? I have been looking at a Remington Youth Model 710 in .243. I can get one for about $270 so the price is right but it really seems like a cheap gun. The bolt is really hard to close up and it feels heavy. It comes with a Burris scope so it would be ready to go. Not sure if my daughter is going to be thrilled lugging it around all day. I saw someone mention a 25-06. Any thoughts on which one kicks harder or would be more efficient. I am also concerned with being able to find ammo up north. I know I can get what I want at Cabelas but what about Bob's convenience gas/food/ammo/bait store up north? Appreciate your input.

My wife just started deer hunting this season,the 12ga with a hornady sabot was a bit much, so i got the 870 out with some of remingtons low recoil slugs. It worked out great for her.Then you can always move up to a rifled barrel and sabots if need be.

Originally Posted By: Crappyman
Speaking strictly rifles, any thoughts? I have been looking at a Remington Youth Model 710 in .243.

My daughters first year will be this year and I will be getting her a Tikka T3 lite in a .243 with a gel recoil pad. The price may not be what you are looking for, but the weight and ease of operation make up for it. I will also have a Nikon scope. The way I see it is she will probably hunt with this rifle for a good long time so I figured why get something "cheap".

Crappyman,

I assume you mean that you will have all the ammo you need prior to going up to hunt and would only need to stop at Bob's mini mart in the event of an emergency. In teaching firearm safety classes, I see too many people who do not understand the importance of using the same brand, weight, and bullet type of ammo that you sight in with. I even had a dad argue with me one time saying that bullet weight/style has no effect on where the bullet strikes. Scary to say the least.

For my .02, it is hard to go wrong with either.

Crappyman,

For rifles I suggest looking at the mossberg bolts they have out in .243. I handled one at the store the other day and thought it was a great gun for the money. Also heard a lot of good things on here about them. 243 is a pretty common round, found most anywhere too.

Another option, I want to say it is TC that makes interchageable outfits. Like a 20/243 combo that comes with 2 sets of barrels. I thought those looked pretty nice also. Have the best of both worlds in one gun. Just a thought

Great comments. I am definitely going to look at the Mossberg. They have really come a long way with thier guns and I have not really looked any further than the Remington I looked at before. Yes, as far as ammo goes, I agree with keeping to a single brand, weight, etc. I just don't want to get stuck in the woods with nothing. I used to drive an Isuzu truck and I always feared needing repairs in the middle of no where and no one having any parts. I have learned to keep it simple. I have also learned that you get what you pay for. I agree with Anyfish that this will be rifle that will be used for many years to come and I don't want to cheap out now. Thanks again for the input.

Sounds like you already have some good advice here.I gotmy daughter the Mossberg Bantam 20 when she was 12 , average size girl I guess,not too big not too small.At the time it came with both the slug barrel and the shot barrel.A nice shooting little gun and it works out fine for her for ducks ,she hasn't had a shot at a deer yet.I would definately stay away from the single shot exposed hammer thing ,too many things to go wrong there.Also I'd stay away from a 410 if they are going to bird hunt. In the hands of an expert wing shot a 410 is a fun and challenging gun but in the hand of a beginner it could lead to some frustration and an eventual disinterest in hunting bird.No matter what you get them getting them out hunting with you is awesome. The looks on thier faces are priceless the first few times they have success.Allo utings with them are special but the first few are extra special.

a shotgun with a slug is going to kick no matter which it is, unless you go with a .410, but I would stay away from that for deer hunting, in my opinion, that is a small game gun.

I would try to find a semi auto 20 gauge, the action of the semi auto would absorb some of the recoil. Also, stay away from 3 inch slugs, they seem to kick a lot more than 2 3/4 inchers.

Eye1000us, that's the gun I am leaning towards. Agree I'll stay away from the exposed hammer guns.

Thanks

Dale

If money is not an option, Benelli "Montefeltro" 20 Gauge. Light Quick and good resale value. A .410 in reality is a kids gun only in terms of the shell size. It takes a good eye and a better hunter to harvest an animal with that weapon. If you only want to teach and practice "Smash the can" then a .410 is great.

I disagree with that. You don't have to blow a big hole in a deer to make a kill.

A .410 has plenty of power to drop a deer. It still goes through the deer and bones at a decent range.

Now, you can't shoot hundreds of yards with it...but it is still a great fun for deer hunting. Quieter, less kick, and very lightweight.

If only a "better hunter" can get a deer with a "kids gun", several members of my family must be deer hunting pros.

I have lots of the mentioned guns. First off I have a single 20 that I'm afraid to shoot because of recoil. I got it for my kid, shot it myself first and it has never went any farther. My daughter(15) shoots a 20 guage auto Franchi. Very accurate with a smooth barrel. Light and virtually no recoil, as you will find with most autos. We are in rifle area, but shooting it for trap league she felt more comfortable with it for deer hunting. This year she moved up to a 308. My son at 7, moved up to a 20 guage charles daily, from the .410, for trap shooting, waterfowl and pheasant..., then up to a over under 12 guage stoeger condor at 10. It is very important to get a gun that feels right for the person shooting it, one they are scared of is no good.

Another important point to consider is that you as the adult should shoot any gun you are considering on buying for a kid. I have shot lots, and I simply am scared of the sharp recoil of many of the forementioned firearms. (Single 20 out of the question, pump 20, not soft enough for me)

If anything other than one shot is out of the question, the magazine of any can be plugged to allow only one shot.

.410 has not been illegal in MN, at least in the years since deer season sarted, either that or my great grandfather was an outlaw. .410s are very accurate and very comfortable to shoot for deer. A professionals gun for bird hunting, but exceptoinally hard hitting with bismuth, at $2.00 a shot!

Best advise I believe is to know what you are buying by personal experience, for 1000 replies, you will get 1000 opinions.. good luck, Brent