• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Suggestions for girls 1st deer gun

cherokee

I have twin daughters that I plan on taking deer hunting this Fall. Question, I need to buy two guns but don't want to break the bank. Should I be looking at a couple of 20 gauges, 410's or muzzle loaders. I'm thinking 20 gauge so they can duck hunt as well.

Models, new or used, any recommendations welcome. Best place to buy?

Thanks,

Most hunting will be in Zone 3 this year but I want it to be a shotgun that I will scope.

They will be 12 by September and they are rather petite.

My sister-in law has hunted with a slug gun the whole time she's been hunting and she's done good with it. But if you want your girls to hunt birds too a smooth bore gun would work because you can get slugs that will work with that gun.

I'm kinda leaning towards a 20 gauge hoping that won't be too much for them to handle.

Thanks,

I'd take a look at New England firearms singleshot 20g, you can pick them up cheap around ($125). This is the gun I learned to shoot with as well as most of my friends and hunted with for a couple years when I was young. I think it makes you a better hunter because you are less likely to take a iffy shot cause you dont have that quick follow up shot.

Doesn't the New England have an exposed hammer? I would not use and exposed hammer, especially if you are using it for birds. Just my opinion. I would look into some of the 870s they have on sale at one of the big chain stores in town. They even have a pink wood stock for the girls if that will get them more interested. I saw the 870 youth 20ga for about $250. Ask them what they can do for you if you buy two? they may cut you a deal. I think you should stay with the smooth bore and not bother with scopes at this point. If they are going to deer hunt with you you could also see if the reduced recoil slugs work in your gun. That may be a better option than buying them their own at this point. I have heard the reduced recoil slugs cut it down by almost half.

Another trick. When you teach them how to shoot this summer, have them wear a life jacket. It will simulate them having heavier cloths on, while also making the recoil not seem as bad.

My sister shot a 410 and loved that gun. When she shot she knew there wouldn't be any kick so when a deer was there she had confidence she could make the shot without worrying about the kick.

I have a .20 gauge youth model Rem 1100 that I got used. They might be hard to find but that's a great gun for what you describe, very little felt recoil, simple to use, versatile, etc.

Looking at used guns may be a good way to go, pricing will be better and maybe your girls will like having different guns (or maybe they'd rather have identical ones??).

I would agree with a 20ga autoloader. One might be able to save a little more with the used one as stated above. A pump might be a little less but thwey might not like pumping the gun.

The 20ga. youth models are perfect. they range from 269-299. but I would invest in slug barrels for them, better sights and accuracy. I have a 13 yr old daughter and thats what she'll be using for ducks. but for deer we use rifles so a 35. rem is what I'm thinking for her.

my fiance has hunted with my now for 3 years, and I bought her a 20 Gauge youth, being that she is a short little girl. We took part of the stock out to it would fit her short arms, and if we have to make the gun a little bigger, we can add it. 20 is the perfect gun for them, and besides, the 20 is one of the best deer hunting guns out there.

We went down a similar path around 5 years ago. My son was looking to move up from his .410, my daughter wanted her own shotgun, and we had some decisions to make.

Jr. settled on the Remington 870 Youth 20 gauge with the extra fully rifled deer barrel. He's put quite a few meals on the table with that outfit, from partridge and pheasants to ducks and geese to turkeys and even 5 deer.

Lil Ms. Jackpine shoots left-handed (she's left-eye dominant) so for her we went with a Browning BPS Micro in 20 gauge. She is more into tromping around after pheasants a few times a year and spending a weekend shuttling between her Grandpa's and my deer stands.

The 870 with both barrels came in around $300 at that time, and although the stock is worn in places, it functions just great. In the right hands, even with the open sights, you can hit a pie plate every time at 100 yards using sabots.

The BPS was around $470, and still looks like a million bucks. Lil Ms. doesn't put as many shells through hers..... She shoots standard foster-style slugs, and it will groove them in pretty well out to 75 yards.

Another option we looked at was the Mossberg Bantam in 20 gauge. I really liked the fact that the fully rifled deer barrel was also ported - but neither of the kids liked the feel of the Bantam.

As far as recoil, we started off spending the first summer busting clay pigeons with light loads. Both kids got vests with recoil pads (Lil Ms. got a PAST pad that she really liked). Once hunting season started, we went to 2 3/4" loads, and after a year or two bumped up to the 3" mags.

Jr. is 16 now, and just got his first 12 gauge. He's chomping at the bit to try it out. Lil Ms. is content with her 20.

I would advise sitting the girls down and making a list (with them) of what they want and need. Then a trip to the store, picking up the various guns, seeing first-hand what the features are, and letting everyone get a feel for the project.

My kids pretty much made up their own minds - telling me what tripped their triggers. We discussed price, long-term uses, etc.

Now that Jr. has "outgrown" the 20 - what happens? Well, that little gun throws an absolutely nasty tight pattern with turkey loads (and an Undertaker choke tube) so he has already decided that it will be his primary turkey gun. Just the other day he casually mentioned that he's thinking of a Hastings barrel with cantilever scope mount for deer sniping as well. Doesn't sound like the 20 will be retired any time soon!

id go with a 25-06 i also have 35rem and love it for trackin iv killed alot of deer with both.

Wow, thanks for the input. This is a great forum. I'll check out some of the guns listed. I want them to enjoy it and have the proper equipment to start.

Thanks again,

Dale

30-30 is a good choice for a 12 yr old for deer hunting.also a 20 gauge single shot would be a good choice for bird hunting.

theres alot of good choices. the only thing i wouldnt do is get automatic they need to eject a shell and think about the next shot. instead of just pullin the triger

W365 I agree with you on that. I'm thinking pump (limit them to one shell to start) or a single shot. I'd be better off getting the pump so they can grow into it with experience.

20 gauge should handle everything from deer, ducks, squirrels and even turkey with right choke and close shot.

Thanks,

I hunted the first 3 years with an almost antique 20 gauge single shot that my great-granmother used to hunt grouse with. It gave me a great appreciation for hunting. I always thought "all i have to do is wait for the deer to walk by, and then i shoot it". Well, thats easier said then done with a smooth bore 20 gauge with just a bead on the muzzle. I learned real quick, that it takes more than just patience to take a deer. That is why I of reccomend a shotgun, but 2 years ago, i went to Cabela's and bought myself, a .270. I wouldn't recommend that for a 12 year old female, but I would reccomend a rifle. It is an awesome feeling when you get that first deer, and by using a shotgun, you might be making them wait longer to feel what it's like to be "one of the gang". Personally, I dont think it matters a ton what you get a new hunter, it feels great just to be out in the woods.

I bought a charles daily youth pump 20ga. has 3" chamber & choke tubes, and sinthetic stock I bought it new for $180.00 for my son he shot it for 2 years. I didnt know how well this gun would hold up for the money i spent on it, but it has been a great gun. My oldest son used it thru 2 summer trap leagues and 2 fall hunting seasons it is now passed on to my youngest. There is also a charles daily youth auto 20ga. My buddy bought this one for his girlfriend this one kicks alot less. I think this one was about $280.00 Great price for what you get. we have shot slugs out of both guns & they both did good. I personally would not buy a single shot for almost the same money. Its worth the extra $ just to have the interchangable choke tubes. Both of these guns are available at GM. If I did it over again I would buy the auto for the extra $. I think the auto would be the best choice for your girls, they are also alot lighter than the remington 870/1100 youth models.

My 20 kicks alot harder than my 12. My twenty is very light so the 12 absorbs way more of the slugs force. I would suggest looking for a 12 gauge that fits her comfortably; that may come w/ 2 barrels (rifled and cantilevered for slugs and scope; and one with maybe a 24" barrel w/ interchangeable chokes). Now she has a gun she can use the rest of her life for almost anything she'd be interested in trying! Just what I would try.

Youngie, that makes sense about the recoil due to the lightness.

Thought about a .50 muzzleloader as well The one I have does not kick at all. I'm going to have them shoot it just to see what they think of the recoil (beef up their coat a little before doing so).

My niece starting with a 12 guage. For three years she missed deer and we could tell she was afraid of the "kick" and the loud noise.

So, my dad gave her a .410 to use.....

She got her deer this year. One shot, one deer!

Have her try different guns (if possible), and let her pick!

It suprises me how many people have thier sons and daughters use .410s for deer....Not only is this illegal as listed on the big game section of calibers to be used for big game, but its not a very efficinet round. Bullet placement is everything and those .410s will do the trick but you always want to use enough gun. A .20 gauge in my opinion is ideal for deer and a .12 is almost overkill. a .20 is also lightweight easy to handle and carry and not to heavy of a slugger. You could use the reduced recoil slugs and a recoil pad. I would recomend the pump though cuz single shots are extremely lightweight and a pump will soak some of the recoil.

Originally Posted By: Bassboy1645
It suprises me how many people have thier sons and daughters use .410s for deer....Not only is this illegal as listed on the big game section of calibers to be used for big game, but its not a very efficinet round. Bullet placement is everything and those .410s will do the trick but you always want to use enough gun. A .20 gauge in my opinion is ideal for deer and a .12 is almost overkill. a .20 is also lightweight easy to handle and carry and not to heavy of a slugger. You could use the reduced recoil slugs and a recoil pad. I would recomend the pump though cuz single shots are extremely lightweight and a pump will soak some of the recoil.

i'm not sure what state you live in but a .410 is perfectly legal in MN

OOPS my bad Im sorry for the mix up. I could have sworn .410 was illegal. Was this a recent change in the last 5 years??

I'm getting uncomfortably close to 50 years of age, and can't remember when it wasn't legal to use a .410.

Its interesting, I too believe the .410 used to be illegal for deer (frankly I thought it was until just a couple years ago when I researched it). I know I was taught it was not a legal cartridge for deer when I was younger.