• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Tundra or Titan?

JMo

Question

I am looking at buying a bigger pickup and have been looking at the Tundra and Titan. It will be used to pull a 17 foot boat and the snowmobile trailer. Just wondering what everyone's experience has been with these vehicles,maintenance, gas mileage, towing etc. Thanks for your replies.

I have been looking at a used Tundra (2004-2006). I don't really like the body styling of the new Tundras. Also, I like the style of the Titan but don't really know much about their performance.

What really sold me on Toyota was my Solara ( Camry coupe )that I bought brand new in 99 and still have with 165000 miles and all it has needed a $100.00 part for some pollution control thing otherwise everything else has been just general maintenance like tires,brakes , oil changes. I plan on driving it to the grave but that won't be any time soon grin.gif

P.S. Google tundrasolutions and read what owners say about there equipment.

Originally Posted By: jimalm

P.S. Google tundrasolutions and read what owners say about there equipment.

I'd suggest reading all of it. I've been mulling over buying a new truck and have done quite a bit of reading on that site and one about F150's. There are a lot of satisfied people and some VERY unhappy ones.

Another thing I'd throw in is find a dealer you can work with on the sale AND service. If you live in Nowhereville and the nearest Toyota or Nissan dealer is half a days drive I'd consider something else. You can argue that they are more reliable but when you need work done, and you will at some point, is stinks to travel and take a day off work.

I am in my 60's been a ford pickup guy most of my life. I had an 04 that caused my a lot of problems so I decided to try something else. I bought a 2007 Titan Crew cab. What I like about the Titan is that is came with alot of features standard that you have to pay extra for or after market on other make trucks. Mine came with running boards, sprayed in bed liner, mud flaps front and rear, storage bin under the rear seats and other things. On top of that I got what I consider the best deal I have ever gotten on a new truck. $3000 cash back helped that. I have had it for a year and still look forward to driving it. The one negative is the gas milage a little over 10 in town and just under 16 highway. Good luck in your search.

I bought a brand new Titan in 04. I have 39,000 miles on it and have not had hardly any problems with it. Brakes were replaced @ no cost from dealer. Other than the gas milage, I absolutely love the truck. Tons of power, very comfortable with lots of room. I would recommend it to a friend. Good luck with your decision.

Cons_mer R_ports just released their their yearly report and here were some interesting things:

GM's Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab was named the best pickup -- the first American nameplate to make the magazine's closely watched "Top Picks" list since 2005.

Buick moved up eight positions to No. 10 in the brand reliability rankings, Saturn moved up six spots and some new or redesigned models, including the Silverado, GMC Acadia and Sierra and the Saturn Outlook, had average or better reliability in their first year. GM also won praise for new vehicles like the Cadillac CTS, which outscored the BMW 328i and Mercedes C300; the magazine called it a "wake-up call" for German automakers.

Even though Toyota had four vehicles among the magazine's Top Picks, its reliability has suffered. Consumer Reports said the 2007 redesigns of the V-8 Tundra pickup and V-6 Camry have below average reliability and the vehicles will no longer be recommended without being tested, as the magazine had done in the past.

Thought this was interesting, good luck!

So Toyota had a bad year, so what! IMO its about time the domestic guys stepped up to the plate. As far as I am concerned GM is still in a cycle of bad years that began in the mid eighties. How many engines can one company build that are prone to intake gasket failure. I can't think of a GM vehicle that I have not replaced a fuel pump in. Lets talk about ball joints, wheel bearings, oil cooler lines. How about side terminal batteries, another great GM idea. The latest and greatest is the window regulators that are failing left and right. A/C compressors, you would think they could build one that would last buy now. Fuel pressure regulators another common GM failure that happens to all the models with them.

Maybe when GM produces a vehicle that shows some quality and dependability for more than a couple of years my opinion will change. One bad year won't change my view of Toyota products.

The post is about Titans and Tundras! If you own one of these please share your experiences!

I have an 05 Tundra double cab with the 4.7 V8 and couldn't be happier with it. It drives great, I think I had it in once for a recall. 12/13 mpg towing, 15 city, 16/17 on the highway (65 to 75 mph).

As far as the domestic vs Toyota debate I see it like this - they all break. Domestic cost less now more in maintance later, Toyota more now less later (these are general statements of course). So call it a wash money wise but the X factor is there should be less headaches with the Toyota. There's my 2 cents.

Tundra's are basically domestics...LOL's. Where else are they built?

My experience with a 2003 Tundra 4.7, and with toyota trucks in general (owned since 1990). 2003 tundra SR5 TRD, 85000 miles, 1 set of tires replaced at 70K, out of pocket expenses other than oil changes, $0. 1 recall notice. 12 mpg towing boat/sleds, 15/16 everyday mpg, 18 highway-only mpg.

Owned: 1990 toyota standard cab, V-4, traded in with 94000 miles and total out of pocket expenses of $15 (thermostat), for a 1995 Tacoma V-6 xtra cab, sold to a co-worker with 135000 and total out of pocket expenses of $50 (replace rusted emergency brake cable). 1 recall notice. Truck now has 175K+ and still runs/looks great.

Bought above mentioned tundra with proceeds.

Also have owned (wife's) 1998 4-runner SR5, V-6, traded in with 128000 miles and $420 out of pocket non-regular maintenace costs (replace airbox for heat/AC system, interior metal post rusted so you could not adjust air flow) for a 2007 4-Runner Limited, V-6, 14000 miles, no costs.

I consider myself extremely lucky, but with this history how could I not continue to buy toyota's???

Added up, thats 456,000 miles with $485 out of pocket non-regular maintenace costs.

As a contrast, my father in law bought a 2003 chevy 3/4 ton HD about the same time as my toyota and he told me last week that he had just taken the truck in for the 27th time for issues since buying the truck. He does pull a 36' 5th wheeler down and back to florida each year, but he's getting a bit testy to say the least.

JMO you might want to wait on the Toyota. I've been researching vehicles and the $3000 Tundra incentives just ran out.

Well I take back what I wrote. As of yesterday March 4th new incentives for the month were announced.

I own a 2005 gmc sierra 1500, still on warranty. 33000 miles.

just bought a new 2007 honda accord (made in ohio of mostly american parts) last fall. i looked at the titans and tundra and decided i'll buy next years 2009 tundra. never buy the first year of a new model or your asking for trouble. been there and done that before and paid for it. i won't buy another of the big threes vehicles till they get there act together. i didn't like the titan as good as the new tundra's, plus no dealer in bemidji.

I own a 2005 Titan with 38000 miles. Had it since it was new. Lots of power, roomy, nice options. The ride seems choppy to me and the engine is noisier than I would like. Gas mileage is poor. 14 mpg all around. I have had some paint issues in front of the rear wheels, probably because the wheels actually stick out the side of the truck and spray gravel, mud, salt, etc. all over the side of the truck. Poor design IMO. Nissan took care of one side,, I'm still waiting to hear about the other side. Overall, I'm satisfied with the Titan, but I'll withhold judgement for a few years to see how reliable it is. Consumer Reports was not kind to the Titan. My brother in law owns a 2005 Tundra and loves it.

I went and test drove the new tundra's ('07's) and they don't seem to be as car riding as the older tundra's. In a way, the more truck like ride may be fine, but I got really used to that car like ride.