Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishingIsLife

Why no one fishes Island lake?

11 posts in this topic

I fish Island Lake all the time in the summer, but why does no one fish it in the winter? Can you not drive on the ice, is it not safe? I would think it would be a good crappie and walleye lake for ice fishing, but everyone fishes Fish, which I will only do if I'm extremely desperate, too much pressure. I want to drive to some spots on Island, but I kinda get the feeling its not safe. Any responses would be great. Thanks guys.

I wouldnt drive unless I knew the ice the whole way I was going. I would snowmobile or 4 wheel though. There are spots you can drive on with no issues but others can be tricky. If you have a sled/wheeler take that.

Been saying it for years. There are no roads, resorts, and the landings aren't plowed. Guys that want instant success won't find it on Island lake because theres no crowd.

Stay away from the dam, bridge, inlet, and humps caused by lowering water level and you'll be fine. Its not any harder to find fish on Island lake then any other lake that isn't crowded. Had a house out there for years and never saw anyone else.

I would have to agree with ST. I grew up on Island lake and have ice fished it many times. I have had some real decent days out there. If at all posible, have a GPS with a chip that shows structure. Find something that looks good, and work the edges. Dont be afraid to work deeper water 25-35 during the day, then move shallower as the the day goes on. You will probably do just as good as some of the other lakes, with out all the pressure. Good Luck. Hope this helps.

Ok so wich one of you guys wants to go find some of those pig Crappies on Island. I have Thurs-Sun off. Ill be hitting the last few days of walleyes on the river in the afternoon but will be hitting crappies someplace in the mornings.

I have a sled and GPS so lets do it.

Sounds like it could be a great time, if ya see anyone out there in a green otter cabin might as well say hello!

Steve, I would be with ya..............but I'm heading to ATL tomorrow for the weekend.......maybe next week sometime?

Steve I would go in a heartbeat, but i have a basement to finish. I am almost done and the open water is comming soon. We will have to hook up the end of march early april. Chase some Salmon.

Ya for sure man.

Steve, we'll get out on a weekday.

Thanks for the info guys. I'd like to get out there for some pig crappies too, so let me know the next time you're going out northlander.