• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Decoy numbers.

Tipup101

Whats the most decoys you have ever used at once. Mine is 12 late season open pasture. One shrub in the middle. Stuck ten hen decoys out with two jakes 20 yards out from the shrub. I of course sat in the middle of the shrub for the day. Saw alot of hens and jakes roaming threw my flock set up but no toms. It makes me think I'll do it again. Or am I fooling my self and could have done just as good 2 or 3 decoys. I look at it like goose hunting the more you got the better it looks.....

I thought a jake & 2 hens was a lot to carry! I've never hunted with more than 3. Too much to carry when you'v got a blind, bow, pack, etc. But if you've got the means to put out an entire flock, I sure wouldn't think it could hurt anything other than the lack of sounds and movement that are made from a group of birds that size. Sounds like you had good results the time you tried it. If I owned another 8 decoys I'd give it a shot. When it's slow... you could name the whole flock grin.gif

How do you even get 12 decoys? Man they're expensive. Name the whole flock. That's good. LOL

I guess it still would be less expensive and less work than setting up a decoy spread for something like geese.

It can work to inspire confidence late season, but I've also found toms to be very decoy shy late season if they've been hunted in earlier seasons.

I've learned almost anything can work, but that would be a lot to drag out and change your mind and then scrap the whole works.

Its not that bad to carry out with a decoy bag. But I get the same response thats a lot to take out. Plus if you shop around you can pick up quality decoys for next to nothing if you shop around. I got 6 nice glass eyed ones for 4 dollars a decoy two years ago on a web site. And if you hunt on a open pasture with a good breeze you get plenty of movemnet. The one day I did it last year I hardly called.

This is not something that I would do, only because I don't have the resources and I like to move around a lot and hunt several properties in a day. But I have to say if it gives you that extra edge go for it.