Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Hotel In Ely

23 posts in this topic

Coming up to Ely the 2nd weekend of march, already booked a room at the super 8. My mom and dad aren't thrilled about staying there. The only reviews I've read of the place were bad (but 2 years old). Is there a better place to stay for the same rates or cheaper?

Less expensive motels here can be good, but they generally are, well, obviously less expensive. grin.gif

The Paddle Inn gets consistently high marks for its simple relaxing rooms and low prices, but it's not as "chain motel like" as the Super 8.

I've had several clients stay at the Super 8 over the last couple of years and their rooms were clean and sharp and they were happy with the motel.

Yeah, it doesn't matter to me, as long as there is a bed and a tv I'll be fine. Will be on the ice most the time anyway. I googled the adventure inn, looked nice from the outside...any reviews on their rooms?

I've heard OK stuff about them, too. I haven't really heard there are ANY dives for motels in Ely. This town's economy is so much about the tourism trade that dives wouldn't last long. If you only want a bed and a TV, ANY motel you get here will do the job.

I looked at the paddle inn's website, they look really nice too. I'm really surprised that ely doesn't have more commercial chain hotels there.

I'm used to being in grand marais and hotels out number people 2 to 1 up there. \:\)

Well, there's the Super 8 as mentioned, and Grand Ely Lodge started its life as a Holiday Inn before it was decided that HI wasn't "grand" enough for Ely. I believe Motel Ely is a Best Western motel, too.

I found it funny how the prices went up the weekend of the bash. Was it the bubble heads or us that drove the prices up?

Yes.

On some snowmobiling website a couple of guys were asking, was it the Kwazy Wabbitt crew that drove the price up or us?

Yes.

I stayed at the Paddle Inn about a year ago and was happy with it. Nothing fancy but we were just looking for a place to sleep for the night. Price was fair and the lady who runs it offered to let us out of the reservation since the snow conditions were marginal for what we were looking to do. I'd go back.

The Paddle Inn is a ok place as long as you dont want too much. The lady there is nice the guy there needs a personality.

I stayed at the Super 8 for the Bash. It was very clean and probably exactly what you might expect for a Super 8.

One thing I really never thought about though is that it is kind of nice to have an outside door like the Paddle Inn for carrying all your gear in and out.

JBMasterAngler,

On top of the motels mentioned, you might want to try the Budget Host.

It's directly across from the Holiday Gas Station, and has outside access doors for easy transportation of gear from your vehicle.

No more chain stores or motels needed in Ely. I think it needs to stay the way it is. There are far too many places with that stuff to go around.

Well I appreciate all the info. I'll be making some phone calls that's for sure. Just as long as the fish cooperate, I'll be happy.

Being able to carry your gear in the your room without going up flights of stairs is a plus. Budget Inn and Paddle Inn are just fine for this guy. When someone asks for reviews I'm thinking you might be looking for something like Grand Ely Lodge.

surface tension you wouldnt have a number for these places would ya im with ya on no stairs

walleye365, you can go to the Ely Chamber of Commerce Web site at http://www.ely.org for all that contact info.

thanks for all the info you have helped me with catfish

No prob, walleye. There are a bunch of Ely motels with ground-level rooms that open right out onto the parking area. Those motels all were built with the canoing/boating/backpacking/fishing client in mind, and most everyone who comes up here to do those activities likes to be able to bring gear in and out without lugging it through hallways and up and down stairs.

Wife and I stayed at the Motel Ely during Winterfest. Nice beds and tv. They were very accomodating and reasonbaly priced.

Finns.

Ended up getting a suite at the paddle inn for the same price as a regular room at super 8. My dad feels much better about that, he got a really good vibe from the manager too. And my fiance likes the idea that subway is across the street (she's pregnant) grin.gif