Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MNGrouser

Sawbill entry

3 posts in this topic

I booked the annual BWCA trip with my wife and another couple for this August. (I know, I'm WAY ahead of myself) We look for fairly easy trips when the wives are along. We were looking at going through Sawbill entry to Smoke, Flame & Burnt Lakes. Has anyone here fished those in the last couple of years? Any tips for me? The reports from the DNR Lakefinder page cite surveys from 1957, '76 & '91. I was wondering if anyone had info that wasn't more than a decade (or half-century) old. Thanks!

Grouser

I went through Sawbill last year guiding my inlaws. I didn't get a chance to wet my lures there, but the campground next to the entry point is enormous so my guess is that there is a good amount of pressure on the lake. I'm sure that others here will have a better sense of the actual lake production.

MNGrouser-

I drew my moose tag for that zone this year and went in at sawbill. The 4 trips I went scouting/hunting, I did really well for eyes on smoke, and had to work really hard on burnt to catch fish. The best luck i had on smoke was directly out in front of the campsite closest to the smoke/burnt portage. Never fished Flame at all, but its a neat little lake. Seen some really big bulls on burnt (thats where i shot mine) Good luck. Casey