• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Myself and a couple buddies are thinking about setting up a small fishing league. We were thinking about picking a different Lake every week and target a certian species. It would be, for the most part, a friendly competition.

Has anyone been in one before, or do you have any suggetions, or things we need to look out for?

Thanks!!!

Originally Posted By: jrpohlman39
that sounds like fun

Sure does let me know if you need more prople to join/ help out.

google tournament regulations on the mndnr web site

if there is any money involved it has to be under 25.00 perangler

max 15 boats

Thanks, Now that we know how to keep it leagal, we have to come up with some rules, and what lake to fish when, and what species to fish for. Any suggestions on keeping score, with as little stress on the fish as possible?

We want to keep it to a small group this year, and keep it fun, and not so competitive.

Thanks again

Also, note that most organized events on the water or ice need a county permit. (page 11 of the 2008 regulations)

Thanks, I will be contacting counties to make sure we don't need permit.

I even found a place were they will post our results for free on the web. They e-mailed, and said we could use there scoring system.

kasota,

I have some software for tournament keeping that I had used a only a few times that Is fully customizable to to league specifics.

It is mostly beneficial if you have a labtop available at the weigh-in site it will automaticly deduct penalties add bonus points ect. also calculates weights and positions prints reports on paper or over computer... that type of stuff!! goggle tournament keeper for specifics

let me know if it intrests you.

It was mentioned it would be good to do this league in a way to cause little or no stress to game fish. Maybe rough fish could be targeted(carp,sheephead) alond with bullheads,catfish occasionally.

This is a fantastic idea I think it would be a big hit around here if you need any help with this just ask I would love to be apart of a fishing league

kasota, you might want to check out the SW MN forum, one of the guys in there ran the SW Mn fishing league I believe, might me able to give you some info. They started a thread a few months ago about a tourney series.

Thanks,

I will try to get in contact with him, and see if we can share ideas etc.

I will you all posted on how things progress. My intentions of starting this league, is give guys a reason to get out and fish, and have a few beers. I don't want it to get really competitive, just to have fun, and be safe.

I already got a great start on scoring system, and a list of rules. I need to work on a list of lakes, and dates and times. I'm leaning towards 1 night per week, or maybe one night every other week. There will be two people per boat, and subs may be used, as long as one of the original registered two is in the boat.

If we go forward with it, we'll be looking for people that are interested in joining. I just want to keep the size of the league down, to keep it leagal for one reason, and not to create a lot of work for me, or anyone else etc.

Thanks again for all your input, it has helped me a lot.

Beer, fishing, trying new lakes and meeting new people. Sounds Great! I just got a small boat last fall, might as well put it to use, would need a partner though. Very interesting! I'd bite.

Lonnie

PDOGG, Thanks, sounds good. I do have a buddy with a boat but I don't know if he would want to join...So if he declines and you still need a partner count me in.

You fit the our profile perfectly........I look to do this League for fun.....Keep it to having fun.....The more I think about it, the more excited I get.

I want to warn any of you that are interested in this league, that this league is not for the expert fisherman(T.O. Katoguy, Harry, Etc) You guys know how to have fun fishing, without winning our league. This league is for the guys that have a boat, and need a reason to go, and just want to have fun.

Hey, Kasota, how about a guest boat to come up once in a while. Well maybe a guest Pontoon???? Let me know what you come up with, I would love to come up with the fishin toon and have some fun!!!

Are you near Fox Lake (Sherburn?) My Mom has a place on that lake, so I make it down there a couple times every year.

Have not fished in the summer much since 94', It's been all ice. No expert here. Just need the excuss to get out of the house.

PDOGG. no problem. Will see how it's set-up, and which night of the week works out for all.

Lonnie

An expert? Not quite sure how to respond to that...

Having fun is what it's all about for me whether it's guiding, tournament fishing or being with family and friends.

Post the details of the league as they become available. Thank you.

TO - what he's saying is that you can pay your entry fee - fish, sip a beer and join the hang - but you can't take our money!

heh

Looks like I didnt get mentioned TO. Now, you can give me your hot spots for those lakes you know so well. Then I might have a chance at last place.

As TO stated, Its all about having fun.