• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any good panfishing along the trail???

I will be coming up there this weekend and was wondering if anybody would be willing to tell me where I might try some panfishing preferably closer to Gunflint Lodge I have absolutely no clue where to start. But would like to get into some big sunnies or crappies or perch I would appreciate any advice on lake name, techniques, hooks, colors or just about anything under sun to do with fishin heck maybe we could get together for a few beers it would be my treat

Well you can forget about the crappies and sunfish. Even if you could find any, they wouldn't be big at all. Devil Track and Two Island have some decent perch fishing...devil track is good for whitefish too. However, they are both quite a drive from Gunflint.

Goldtip - you should definately ask around a little bit when you get up there. If you happen to ask the right person you may get a tip or two. I have seen some photos of crappie from that area of the trail. Ask specifically about Iron Lake when you are up there.

You might want to consider fishing some stream trout lakes also. I believe leo lake is the closest to gunflint. Panfish gear will work for them as well. Hungry Jack Lake is on that same road, if your that determined for pannies, there might be a sunny or 2 out of there.