Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TonkEye

"Year in Review + Favorite Metro Lake"

24 posts in this topic

Well everybody how was your year for game fishing?For me personaly it was my best year for "EYES",nothing big but lots of nice eaters all winter long. My favorite metro lake is Minnetonka I like its versitility,structure,weed lines and I can always find a spot to fish without a Crowd. \:\)

my favorite lake is any lake with versitility,structure,weed lines and I can always find a spot to fish without a Crowd.

... i think i am so funny.

Another vote for Tonka.

tonka fish always taste a tad bit fishy...if you get what i mean

Yeah is that true? I've heard that Tonka walleyes have a "weedy" or "muddy" taste to them...

Not WBL, doh!.... aka the Dead Sea....

'Tonka for me. There's something for everyone, and lots of places to fish.

I had one of the worst season's since I started ice fishing a lot a decade ago. I'm blaming it on the early ice & snow - I fish almost exclusively small lakes, & some of my favorite little lakes pretty much ground to a halt after Christmas. And mysteriously, I never caught a fish on my tip-up all year. Not one. Didn't think that was even possible!

My favorite lake...anything under 100 acres where I can grab a pike!

tonka as long as I stayed away from the crowds, roads, and snow mobile speedways!

Yeah - tip-ups were extremely slow this year. I never landed a fish when the flag went up.

Only two caught all season were a couple decent perch that didn't set the flag off...

Everyone said Tonka, but imma put my vote in for the St. Croix!

my buddy landed two sturgeon last weekend on the croix a 40" and a 33" both on 4LB test

I think im going to try and get out there this weekend being its the last weekend of the season for border waters

ill join you lil lubey ive always wanted to fish out there

cole ill give you a call if i go this weekend

I had a slow winter for ice fishing working long days, and the to many days with honey-do-lists.

alright what the heck do they catch out there

where on the St. Croix were you guys? i live out in hastings and i know it is a fantastic place to fish in the summer, etc. but where is a good, but accessible place to fish in the winter?

My year in review.. Metro lakes are for the Birds. And with the way gas prices are, I wish jobs were better outside the metro so I could move where the good fishign was. =P

I don't know who told you tonka eyes taste muddy or fishy,I never keep an eye over 20" for eating.The eyes from Tonka tastes just as mouth watering as most any other lakes I've kept eyes from. As for summer fishing,I can't answer that?

I agree tonkeye, I have never had a "muddy" walleye on tonka.

It's been a great year for me. I've gotten out more times than ever before, and I've tried out a lot of new lakes. I didn't have great success with pike this winter, but the crappie action has been steady. I even caught my first 3 bass through the ice this year. I've got 2 March outings planned, and then I'll call the ice season done.

I think tonka produces some quality eyes and some fair crappies. My choice if i fish the metro.

Originally Posted By: Kylersk
My year in review.. Metro lakes are for the Birds. And with the way gas prices are, I wish jobs were better outside the metro so I could move where the good fishign was. =P

I must be a bird then! The metro has been really good to me over the years. dont get me wrong, I love going north to fish and hunt, but ive done better down in the metro this year than the times i ventured north. I had a ton of fun on green in chisago, also. I dont think its really metro, but pretty close.

I agree, I've had a lot of good years on metro lakes...until this winter!