Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
openorice

Take a kid fishing

10 posts in this topic

I'm taking a nephew fishing this weekend and I'm just looking for some action to give him a good ice fishing expeirence. Any suggestions on where I can go to turn this young man onto to fishing? I don't care about size I just want action for him.

Lots of options out there but I would say Duck is tough to beat.

I would second Duck. Go straight out from the boat landing.

If you are willing to drive. Come on over to St.james and you will catch sunfish left and right. No size to them but tons of fish.

Correction: St. James will have you pulling in 'gills all day long, but you can get some over 8" (Caught one that was 9".)

The big ones are few and far between BUT I let them go so someone else can enjoy them too! If more people did it there would be plenty of them! (This was all over X-mas break though so not sure how fishing has been since!)

We've caught a lot of nice sunnies out there.

your right mr.jman there are some over 8 but not that many. We release also all our fish because That lake is being fished really hard and i am afraid that in a couple years there won't be any nice ones left.

Yeah it's too bad people keep SO many gills each time and that lake does and is getting hit hard every weekend!

Last year I saw a guy keeping 6" or so. I just wish people would let a few 8" go and keep a few smaller ones (7" range) with some bigger ones. There's nothing wrong with keeping 8" but to limit out on all 8" plus fish will hurt the fishery!

There are a lot of people that use a ruler with different increments on it than the one I have.

good lake to get some nice action when the bite is on