• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

River Regs

Cody Lubeley

I dont fish the croix much and i dont know the regs

are they any different than other lakes? Does the walleye/Pike season end on the same date as the rest of the state?

Any help is appriciated thanks

Nope, being that it is a border water of minnesota, I believe the pike/walleye season is open until March 2nd instead of February 24th like inland waters.

Alright thanks thats what i like to here i think ill be out there on some stretch of river this weekend

2007 Wisconsin - Minnesota border waters season runs until March 2, 2008.

Some unique regulations are:

15 inch minimum on walleyes

14 inch minimum on bass

40 inch minimum on muskies

Possession limit on crappies and sunfish is 25

Possession limit on White Bass is 25

Continuous season on crappies, sunfish, white bass and catfish

Also during the regular open water season you can fish two lines which is a big bonus. Here is how the regulation reads:

WISCONSIN–MINNESOTA Regulations

• Two lines with a single lure or bait on each are permitted. If fishing with one line you may use two baits.

alright thanks what do you usually use for cats id like to hook into a big cat sometime but ive never gotten the chance to learn how to fish for them

Be careful - once you start chasing cats you can become addicted to it. You will find yourself running up and down the river in the dark, late at night when everybody else is sleeping. My preferred catfish baits are fresh cut bait for channel cats and for flatheads I use bullheads. Bullheads under 7 inches are considered minnows in Minnesota and are legal bait.

After this weekend(closing of walleye and sauger) what else is open for fishing on the river?

Is there a season for sturgeon, i know you dont eat them or anything but can you get in trouble for targeting them?

sturgeon season is sep. 6 through oct. 15, so no, I wouldn't go out and target them.

• 2 weeks later...

SteveD

I have fished the Croix most all of my life more that several times a year, mainly for Walleyes.

This year, I want to concentrate more on Catfish.

How is the bite after ice-out to about May?

Ever use chicken liver for Cats...??? Any luck?

Thanks...

You can catch cats in that early ice-out to May period but it is tougher fishing than the warmer spring/summer period. I've seen some nice fish caught in that early season period but you have to work for your fish. On the St Croix it seems that once water temps get into the mid-60 degree range the spring pre-spawn bite will start.

Having said that, I will start chasing cats as soon as the ice is off the water - I can't wait to get on the water after a long winter and I want to be there when the good bite starts.

I don't use chicken livers or any of that kind of bait. I try to match the primary forage base that the cats are feeding on. I use cut bait for channels (suckers, bullheads, shad, sheepshead) and for flatheads I will use bullheads mostly. The flats will hit cut bait to especially in the early spring.

Originally Posted By: Lubey
Is there a season for sturgeon, i know you dont eat them or anything but can you get in trouble for targeting them?

There are a lot of us that are avid St Croix sturgeon fisherman. I will chase sturgeon almost every day during the short 45 day season. I always cringe when I read the reports of sturgeon being caught through the ice when the season is closed. Those reports seem to turn some people on to go out and actively chase sturgeon during the closed season. It may be a lot of fun to catch them but it is illegal if you are actually targeting them.

As an ethical Sportsman I would ask you not to do that. I always ask people how they would react if someone was fishing for walleyes when the walleye season was closed? Or, How would you react to people fishing for trophy muskies when the season was closed? Most people say they wouldn't support that. Well, fishing for sturgeon during the closed season is the same thing.

Enough said, I know some people are going to do it and there is not much I can do about it. At least I won't do it and that is one less fisherman chasing sturgeon during ice fishing season.

10-4, thanks SteveD...

I know someone that does well on chicken liver, so I thought I'd ask you. I'll give 'em a shot and will have to let you know when I try them side-side with cut bait.

I'm ready too. Hopefully we'll meet up sometime on the 'Croix!

chicken liver is great bait if your looking for smaller fish in say the 2-3 pound range. cut bait is the way to go when your in areas that a live bait can swimm around and snag you up. otherwise the best way is alive, mabe with the tail cut off. sheephead for bait? i thought that was illegal. \:o just looked it all up on the dnr site and from what i can tell sheepshead are legal for bait. considered a roughfish. shad are'nt in the ''what is considered a minnow'' section but niether is a shiner minnow... so confusing... can only surmise if it's not in the ''what is a gamefish'' section and not a carp or golfish, not a sucker over 12''s(?), not a mooneye or goldeye or bullhead over 7''s(???) it's legal. shot them an email asking them to better explain what i can use for bait. we'll see what they say in about july sleep.gif .