Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tipup101

Fish Question?

9 posts in this topic

What causes the stunting of growth in the sunnies and crappies. Like fosters I have caught 9 inch sunnies there before for but very few. Why don't they seem to grow in size?

Plus if chester is so full of small stunted sunnies and bass like I hear why don't they stock it with some northerns to thin them out and give us a chance at bigger fish. That lake is easly big enough to hold a large northern population.

I think you might have your bodies of water mixed up. Chester has nice sized fish mostly due I would guess to their special regs, and I have fished Foster's a lot in the last two years and I have never seen or heard of a nine inch sunfish ever being caught out of there.

No back in the north west end of Fosters i've caught sunnies between 8 and 9 inches. I mean where talking like two or three fish in my life. They came this year. But at Chester i've never caught a sunnie over 6 inches.

Chester has some pig sunnies in it. The dnr's goal was to keep a good number a keeper sunnies in it and i think they have done well. The bass are put in there to be the main predators and they do quite well at keeping the little sunnies down. However i will say that if you want to catch big fish, fish where others don't venture much. The same is true for bass and kitties out there.

Fosters is a different beast all together, and it is managed more as a trout fishery than probably sunfish, But there is some big sunfish out there too. It is just sooooo clear that they can be hard to fool. ike

Pike in a place like Chester would most likely cause a lot of problems. They are the kind of predator that will eat anything they can get their mouths on. That would definately be one way to ruin the good fishing that occurs out there. I am surprised that you have't caught any decent fish out there. My personal best gill came from out there. I have caught many gills over 9 inches and crappies over 10 inches out there.

Yea I've hoofed it all over that lake. I must just always stop in the wrong place. Well I'll have to head back there again.

i think personally 1 or two tiger muskies out there would do well but i don't think it is cold enough for them. But atlesast a tiger muskie can't bread so they would only be out there for 10 years or so. Just and idea i know that a little tiger muskie would eat his fill of little gills and probably some bass too. There are some quality fish out there. i have caught one really big gill who thought he could eat a power worm while fishing for bass. ike

I remember reading about that a few yrs ago. I really think it has to do with the size of the body of water that the fish are in. Small body of water small fish , large body of water large fish. I think it was outdoor life mag.

I've heard that to I guess. But I've fished some pot hole lakes before and caught some big pannies.