Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigVLover

Augers

18 posts in this topic

I'm in the market for a new auger and looking for feedback on your favorite auger.

My vote would be for Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express. Cuts holes extremely fast and is just a whisker over 20 pounds making it light enough to drill all day without worrying about fatigue. Another factor is the accessability to blades and service (if needed). Almost all sporting good stores will carry Strikemaster replacement blades. Good luck with your choice.

Chad

i was thinkin about a new auger myself...was gonna either try a new nils or stick with another lazer mag express...my lazer mag is cutting like [PoorWordUsage] even after new blades...i don't think anything is bent so i'm hoping maybe a new centerpoint would do the trick...i'm about due for a new auger anyway but i'd like to get this one cutting like it used to...the thing still runs like a champ.

Fishinguru, if you powerhead is still running good, consider looking at a new shaft for your auger. They run around 125-150$ depending on the size. Its a great option if you have a powerhead that has been extremly reliable.

My vote would also be for the lazer series augers by SM. Very fast and the replactmant parts can be found almost anywhere.

I have a Lazer Mag Express and like it but I have also had pitch problems with 3 different shafts. However, their customer service department has never left me without a unit to use, so take that for what it's worth. The Strikemaster 224 is a nice unit too.

yeah the powerhead has never done me wrong...couple pulls on full choke until she pops...then i flip the switch to run and give her another pull or two and she starts everytime...i even still got the original spark plug in. the powerhead is extremely reliable in any weather.

I personally love my Nils! Fast, light and durable. When I did have issues with mine I had parts and the unit was fixed in 4 days. There are Tanaka repair folks all over the place so service isn't an issue.

I agree with all that Borch has stated about the Nils auger. Mine has never left me with cutting a fast hole first.

Originally Posted By: FISHINGURU
I was thinkin about a new auger myself...was gonna either try a new nils or stick with another lazer mag express...my lazer mag is cutting like [PoorWordUsage] even after new blades...i don't think anything is bent so i'm hoping maybe a new centerpoint would do the trick...i'm about due for a new auger anyway but i'd like to get this one cutting like it used to...the thing still runs like a champ.

You have a pitch problem with the auger blades. The angle the blades contact the ice at is wrong and this generally happens after a lot of use. Brand new blades won't fix the problem. I know... been there done that.

You are going to have to get the auger into a service center and have them adjust the pitch back. They have a gauge that tells them how far out you are and I believe they just bend them back. Strikemaster in Big Lake will definitely do this and I've had D-Rock Center in New Brighton do it to mine as well. Perhaps a call to SM customer service can get you directed to a shop near you that can do this.

well my auger has definatly had it's fair share of use..i was the only guy in my group of friends with a reliable auger for 2-3 seasons..i get laid off in the winter so i fish alot and i like to drill alot of holes.

i've been lookin into fixing this for a couple weeks now so i know there is a couple service centers within 20-30 minutes of me and big lake is an hour and a half drive but well worth it to me either way.

how much did it cost you and how long did it take? i wonder if the service centers do blade exchanges...i imagine i'll need new blades once they adjust the pitch since i've been cutting with them while it's all whack?

Originally Posted By: FISHINGURU
how much did it cost you and how long did it take? i wonder if the service centers do blade exchanges...i imagine i'll need new blades once they adjust the pitch since i've been cutting with them while it's all whack?

Its been a couple years since I had mine repitched by D-Rock but I thought they did it for free and it only took a few minutes. I don't recall for sure but it was very minimal if they did charge me.

I'm also willing to bet your blades are fine. If they are still sharp, once they have the right angle, they should cut like new.

Give a couple places a phone call and see what they charge and how long it will take to get the pitch checked and adjusted on your blades.

that sounds pretty painless...i'm gonna call a couple places tomorrow and get the lowdown...i'll let you guys know the outcome just incase people are interested or curious.

i'm still interested in pickin up a nils though...if i can get my strikemaster all fixed up i have a friend that will buy it anyday..he tried getting it from me today actually when we were out on the ice..i just told him it needs new blades though so i'd hate to sell it to him and make him do all the running around especially since he wouldn't know where to go or what to do.

so i can either fix this one up and sell it to him or just keep it and have a strikemaster and a nils!

so how does the nils run for you guys that own them? good starters in the cold weather? i'd hate to get caught up in the hype and end up with an auger that doesn't run or start as well as my old one.....anyone having this pitch problem with the nils?

thanks for the advice guys

FISHINGURU, the Nils runs great. No hype, its one reason why I like the Nils. -20 and its starts on the 2nd or 3 rd pull.

Normal start procedure is full choke it, prime it. Once it starts take the choke off and let it warm up for a short time.

Light and cuts with little effort.

I drilled holes for the Kiwanis Contest last weekend. I figured I'd use their augers, same augers they give away. I drilled around 60 holes with an Eskimo. They cut good and ran good. They were also heavy and there was a lot torque. It started to become brutal. I was wishing I had brought my Nils.

When I've had to have my pitch re-done, Strikemaster has done it for nothing and provided me with an additional shaft for use while mine was in the shop. I just coordinated deliveries with a local bait shop and I never missed a beat.

I have had pitch problems with my auger same thing that is happening with yours.....brought it to strikemaster 5 minutes later walking out of the door not spending a dime and the auger now cuts great!!

Thanks all for you input. It's always comforting to know that quality customer service awaits should there be a problem. I got a great deal at Gander on a Strikemaster Mag 2000.

ok i got the scoop...i called strikemaster and talked to a lady that said the only problem it could be was the pitch was off or i needed new blades..i told her i just bought new blades awhile back and it hasn't cut right...so we both agreed it was probably the pitch.

she said the steel shaft has memory so eventually it would go back to where it was even after i get it adjusted...she said it could be 2 holes, 10 holes, 200 holes or even a couple thousand but eventually it would go back out of pitch.

she said only strikemaster or D-rock has the equipment to check out the pitch so i gave D-rock a call and he told me to come on up since it's only half the distance for me as big lake.

i asked the guy at D-rock how many shafts he fixes like this and he said about 15 a yr needs adjusting...he also said it's mainly all 10 inchers...he's only had to do a few 8 inchers and nothing under 8.

so i get there and we throw it up on the table and he takes out this little measuring thing that slides right on the bottom by the blades and he says well it's barely off...but he said even the smallest amount could make it act up. so we bent it a couple times and rechecked it until it was perfect...put the blades and centerpoint back on and asked me if i wanted to drive a couple miles down to a lake to make sure it works right since i almost drove an hour to get there...i said sure so off to the lake i went.

got to the lake and fired her up and guess what? it cut worse then before lol....so i brought it back and told him it is cutting worse then before we tried to fix it...we were puzzled for a second so i mentioned maybe my blades got worn down and dull or something since i have been cutting with them with the pitch off and having to apply so much pressure.

so he took a brand new pair off blades out of the package and put them on for me so i could go test it again out on the lake right down the road...after he got the blades on i said do you think my centerpoint could be causing problems too? so he grabbed me a new centerpoint and threw that on quick too...so off i went with my pitch fixed, new blades, and a new centerpoint...so if this doesn't work i'm pretty much screwed i'm thinking.

so i get out on the lake hoping for the best...fire her up in 1 pull and let her rip....she ripped through the ice just like she was brand new...i ended up cutting about 4-5 holes in a minute... i was stoked!

i went back to D-rocks and told him she's ripping through the ice like a champ....he wanted to know if i wanted to keep the blades and centerpoint he put on for me...and ofcourse i did.

we think it was a combination of the pitch being off, the blades getting worn and maybe even the centerpoint..i just know it wasn't blades alone cause this auger hasn't cut right even after i got the new blades...the centerpoint could of played a part in the problem too we aren't sure since we put the new blades and centerpoint on at the same time.

anyway....he hooked me up fat with new blades, new centerpoint, fixed my pitch, a 12" extension, and a full tank of gas for only $29....he even let me keep my old blades so now i got 3 pair lol.

if you got any auger problems get ahold of mike at d-rocks in new brighton...he'll set you up right...everyone there was nice and friendly actually...i'll be heading up there again if i ever have any issues thats forsure!

I have a jiffy model 31, guess they dont make this model anymore but i love it besides the face it weighs like 400 pounds and is not fun to lug around in my house. It starts up first or second pull everytime with no choke and it cuts nice. If only it weighed half of what it does then i would be happy but oh well got a great deal on it.