Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Big Herm

Cross Bow Advice

4 posts in this topic

I'm a quadriplegic looking for any advice in Crossbows such as brands, where to buy, and different devices for drawing the string. Thanks Big Herm

I've never a shot a crossbow but will toss out what I know to get ya started. Barnett, Excalibur, Horton, & Ten Point are the biggies. I think Parker and Striker (Bowtech) are making some now as well. For starting out I think you'd be safe with any of those that fall within your price range. Basically you'll have either a rope cocker or a crank to draw the string. I think as a rule of a thumb you can count on the rope cocking device to cut the draw weight in half. So if you've got a 175# crossbow, you'd be pulling roughly 90#'s or so. With a crank, you can draw the string back with minimal effort but they're fairly expensive ($100 & up) I know the big 4 I mentioned before all have them available. I think any of your local archery proshops would be able to help you out, or least be able to order one for you. Hopefully someone with actual experience can chime in and give you some sound advice.

I bought mine a few years ago and when I was looking at them then Ten Point was the big brand. I didn't have the money for something that nice and bought a Barnett. Been happy with it. I think Ten Point had a battery operated cocking device built in to one of there xbows. It worked pretty slick but cost alot.

I am not sure about the built-in crank type, but my Parker requires that you be able to stick your foot in the stirrup and be able to pull the rope device to cock it. So being a quad. I would think that

you would be limited maybe to the built-in unless you would have assistance. But I really like my Parker.