• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Every lake in the area is putting out fish .If it's high pressure expect a tough bite.Downsizing is the key until this snow melts.

Most of the lakes will produce but like Keith says if you have a high pressure front coming in they tend to turn off. My personaol favorite is a 1/32 to 1/8 ounce hair jig like a "flu-flu" tipped with a waxie, mousie or 3-4 different colored Euro-Larvae. If you are looking for anything bigger jig a small jigging shad. I would not try spoons duing a high pressure front unless you have a very small spoon and even then I think the fish prefer something that looks like prey.

Most spoons don't. This fish is curious and bites the sppon more out of curiosity than hunger. If you do fish a jigging shad or jigging rap be sure to tip it with a minnow eye.

No hit on your style UncleKes ,but during a tough bite I'm down to a hair jig that's 1/80-to 100th oz.and no meat,but then again a 64th or 80th is my go to anyway without meat.Sometimes those bigger baits do work,I've seen it although I could not believe it,but like you said.It was more of a curiosity hit then a feed hit.

What lake would you fish this Saturday if you were looking for a limit of crappies? Are there options other that Hanging Kettle or Ripple?

Snow is down except for a few drifts.

I'll say all lakes are putting out dinks.

It takes some work to find the mules.

Not even the great CK can go find mules at will.hahahahahah

All of those lakes have bigger fish if they are willing to bite.

You just need to be able to dial in to what they want.

HPIM1666.jpg

Darn Kieth? Are you Fly Fishing for them critters or what? Well you probably catch more than I ever do anyway so it must work! You must be using a plankton imitation? I hear you tie your own hair jigs too. What do you use? An Electron Microscope to tie them?

Seriously! I have never seen the need to go smaller than 1/64. (And then only in very very certain situations. I know there are guys out there who go smaller and I know they catch lots more fish than I do too, like I said Question, Kieth? I have never fished something THAT small and if this seems like an idiotic question, well, I am the resident forum idiot, after all. What weight line do you use to fish something that small? I would think 4 lb. would not fit the eye of that small a jig? Are you using 1 lb.?

Tight Lines

Uncle Kes

4 does but it coils too much.I like 3 test or 4 if I can find it under .006 in diameter like P-Line is.

I have 2,3 and 4 test setups.

I have a few 32nds for URL and if the bite is super sggressive,but normally 64th or 80th is what I'll use.

The hair is also pulled short instead of leaving it long.

HPIM1606.jpg

Jigspoon, They say there are some hogs in Kettle. Let's hope my crew can time it right and bring home a limit each. See you at the Lakeview sometime this year. Good Luck Fishing

Jigspoon! I am all for the slabs but you can keep the bull. When i got my divorce I stopped drinking. I found out I didn't have a reason to drink anymore! Sorry!

Kieth! I will try the P-Line this weekend and go down to 2 lb. I am stuck in the Cities (Fridley) for the next couple weeks so I will probably be up in your neck of the woods after ice out. I will probably hit Hanging Kettle or Ripple one day and get over to Big Sandy the day before I pull the plug on it that weekend and head back to WORK! In the mean time I may head over to Minnetonka and catch slabs and Jumbo's on Thursday. I will pick up some 32's and try them out and let you know how I did with them. I hate leaving a good bite to go back to WORK~~

Definition of Work: The horrible things we do to ourselves just to keep our creditors happy!

Take care;

Tight Lines,

Uncle Kes

UncleK....you got 6 weeks of getting out before the ice goes to [PoorWordUsage].

I got a way to get on BSL without hitting a sun baked shore.

Kieth! Like I said I am tied down here in the Cities for a few weekends. The daughter is having trouble so "GOOD OL DAD" is going to help out! (Read that KACHING, KACHING, KACHING in the bank acount! Darn Kids!) I will get back to you though toward the middle of March. I really would like to hit BSL. Besides the opportunity to meet the legendary CRAPPIE KIETH in real life, I am getting hungry for a few JUMBO'S and a few slabs. Talk to you later!

Take care!

Tight Lines!

Uncle Kes

UncleKes,I didn't know you knew I was a ledgend in my own mind.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!You know I'd love to look you in the eye and

shake your hand.

I've also sobered up since my divorse.Just got my 1 year medallion.Business is great and my new website is almost up and running.January of last year seems so far away,so much has happened.I had an article published and I'm looking forward to doing some TV.

The plan is coming together,just had to clean up was all.

Here's to seeing ya and watch out for those yungins!

Kieth! Congratulations on your 1st year Medallion! I got mine back in 1990. I stopped accepting them after I hit 11. Now I just attend meetings and look old and wise (or stupid and stupified depending on who is doing the looking) and let the young kids coming up ooh and ahh at me. It gives them such a warm fuzzy feeling and doesn't seem to interfere with my fishing!

Glad to hear you have turned your life around, Kieth. It is a great feeling of accomplishment just to get back on track after a lifetime of screwing up, isn't it?

I hope your plans come to fruition. I look forward to meeting you. Let me know when you get your web site up and running. I would like to look at it.

You can always reach me at [email protected]

Good Luck with many things!

Tight Lines;

Uncle Kes