• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What was up with Foot Lake???

Went out to Foot tonight to give it a try with my son. Thinking we would be the only ones out there on a Sunday night....Guess I guessed wrong! The area I was gonna try was completely packed with houses, trucks and people...

I tried and area on the "outside" of the pack (not the location I wanted), but thought I'd give it a try anyhow.

Didn't even get a bite. Saw a lot of other people bringing in really small crappies and bass. The thing that made me sick was some of the people were keeping them!

What can you possible get from a limit of 5-6" crappies? Seriously!

If they are that desperate for fish....save your money from not buying bait and go to Cub or Cash Wise and buy a nice fillet! You'd get a lot more fish and you wouldn't have to clean it!

After watching this go on for a few hours it made me sick and I went home. Please people practice CPR! Let the little ones grow up to big ones. I think its hilarious that people point the finger at the DNR and the smallies on Green for the lack of walleyes. This is just an example, but you get the point. People around this area really need to respect the natural resources that we have and save them for future generations. That way I don't have to explain to my 5 year old son why we didn't catch any fish.....like tonight.

I fish up north often and you can really see the different type of mentality the people up there have. They understand catch and release. Now only if we can somehow get that across down here.

Sorry just had to vent.... mad.gif

I hear ya Leech.

Selective Harvest, C&R, CPR attitudes are more prevalent out there than 15-20 yrs ago , but there's also a significantly larger number of "fisherman." Especially icefisherman.

Not many of us icefished regularily, or could fish regularily years ago. MUCH easier today. Even if a bigger percentage of people are concerned about what they are doing and practicing SH, C&R, CPR, that doesn't outway the huge increase in overall pressure. Lakes out there seem to be getting fished down faster than years past, or so I've read and heard. Amazing how many fish can be taken in a few short weeks when a lake is hot.

They may cycle back in time, but it'd be nice if a lake could sustain a healthy population of fish without being exploited.

I'm hoping some metro lakes go strickly C&R soon. It happens here too, though.

Yeah, I don't know what it is around here but it always seems that people have to keep the fish they catch around here. the good old "fish hogs" of kandiyohi county. Don't get me wrong theres nothing wrong with haveing a few meals of fish, but really 5-6 inch crappies?????? The size of the fillet can't be worth all of that time and work. This is the reason I would love to see Minnesota setup some state wide slot limits on some kinds of fish. Not that this would solve the problem totally, but I would think it would help some.

i seen the samething on nest lake this winter. The crappys had a hard enough time last summer's die off.

Another sad thing is I have heard of people catchinfg limits of that size of fish and just giving them a way or forgeting to clean them and letting them go to waste. The people that are catching these small fish are probaly goin out there every night and takin limits of fish home from there. Pretty freakin sad if you ask me.

Hey, I'm glad I'm not the only one frustrated by people with the lack of respect for what nature has given us.

A part of me was hoping that no one would agree, or no one would have seen the same thing I saw last night. The sad truth is, you other fisher-people see and hear of the same thing.

I believe though, the majority of us that frequent this site, are true outdoorsmen. We enjoy fishing so much that we visit and log onto this site often. I believe that we practice selective harvest when we are on the lake. It is most of the other, every once in awhile anglers, that are the ones that spoil it for the rest of us.

The DNR would save a lot of money from not stocking so much (at least in the lakes where natural spawning takes place), if they simply put a lower limit on fish species or enforce a slot. I could think of about 50 things that the DNR could do with that extra cash. Heck I wouldn't even mind if the MN DNR would double the fee for fishing licenses. Maybe then it would "scare" off some of those "types" of people that keep everything they catch. When your keeping things slightly bigger than your bait....you have issues!

I agree with ya Leech, I suppose they all moved over there from diamond which is probably cleaned out by now. I do think the DNR should look at this and consider lowering the limits, that would keep some of the bad anglers away. I think if they would double the cost, people would try to "get their moneys worth" in which I mean they would keep all the 5-6" regardless. It's a sad issue, but maybe the lower limits would help??

In some lakes I can see it,I wish the DNR would try to regulate lakes like Calhune with stunted populations,I dont know much about it,but I wonder if a open fishin year for sunnies 50 limit would help with the size there.If ya fish there ya know you can catch 100s of dinks a day and maybe take home 8-10 eaters.

It wouldn't take the DNR's involvement if we'd keep more of the small to mid-sized fish, and release the "eaters." Our old ways of eating the 9-10" pannies and 12 inch crappies might have to change if we want our fisheries to change for the better. Most "eaters", esp panfish, are getting rarer. I haven't done it yet, but I've talked fisherman that have Selective Harvest in mind, that have kept a meal of the 6-7" pannies, and threw back the 8-10 bigger fish, and were just as satisfied. Gonna take some 180 degree changes in attitude, and getting over looks at the boat landing, but it makes sense, esp. in a lake with alot of stunted fish and few "keepers" (trophies in reality, in that kind of lake). IMO .

I don't know about 6-7 inch fish but I already release the big crappies I catch! They don't taste as good anyways and I'm not too concerned about bringing home the biggest crappies I can to thump my chest at the boat landing.

Big sunnies is another story as I have never caught any real trophies in the st. cloud area! Actually I can think of a few real nice ones I have caught and released but believe me they are hard to come by around here.

Glad to see others are worried about the future quality of fishing!

They should lower the crappie limit to 5 fish...that is ample meat for two people and perhaps people's thoughts that they should be able to feed their family of 5 with one limit of fish is dead wrong! Nothing saying a few of them couldn't go out and catch their 5 fish if they want that shorelunch dinner either.

Originally Posted By: Sartell Angler

Big sunnies is another story as I have never caught any real trophies in the st. cloud area! Actually I can think of a few real nice ones I have caught and released but believe me they are hard to come by around here.

Nice one's (eaters) are gonna have to be treated like "trophies" if we're going to make any positive changes possible. Small / mid-sized fish may have to become "eaters." It's selective harvest, without a population of trophies. The largest fish, even if they are what we used to call "eaters", are the ones to return, until they go up and become the real trophies of old. IMO.

BTW, keeping 5-6" crappies, that is ridiculous. 7-8"ers, yes, if there's a few 9s and bigger to release. But if they're all THAT small, let em be. Foot is one of those lakes that seems to "cycle" every so ofter, and crappies are a "cycling" species by nature. If these 5-6"er were left alone, there might be soom nice fishing in a couple of years. For some, it must be too hard to wait. Hope this changes.

I agree Sartell, the point of a "limit" is for one person and one person only, in my opinion. A limit, does not equal a full family meal. The DNR could lower the limits of most species.

The nice thing about FM is I realize there are more and more fishermen like me, and everyone here has the same opinion, sure it starts with us goose, but I do not think we are the problem, its the other fishermen out there and thats why the DNR would have to step in and make it a statewide thing. I think it's the only logical explaination.

Pyrex, you're right. I'd love it if the DNR stepped in. I like Sartell's 5 crappie limit too. And no, I don't think "we", responsible fisherman are the problem.

I usually say we, or even me sometimes, because in the past my practices were more ego and meat driven and also not to look like I'm pointing my finger at a certain group (meatfisherman). Maybe some of the big city political correctness, Minnesota nice, ect has rubbed off on me. (Time to jump in the shower, yuck.)

I know who's the problem, and you and I aren't really part of it, in my eyes. We are part of the solution though. Sharing our views, practices and experiences with the "meat guys" may help alittle while we wait for the DNR. I just don't want to rub them the wrong way by pointing my finger at them. And how could I?? I was one of them.

I shouldn't worry too much about that here though, as we don't here from many when these discussions come up. I do believed that there are some lurking out there though. Thanks for your input. I agree.

Oh yea, called Crystal Pierz up in St. Cloud today....they only have one boat in the style I'm looking for...

Where are you out of?

And in the metro, it's just the opposite. There are so many lakes in the area where the fish are stunted. We need to get sooo many of the 5-7" craps out. If you talk to any of these guys, send 'em my way, I'll set 'em on a few lakes they are more than welcome to take as many limits as they want!

Agree!They can keep the 9" and under and it will do much less damage than the people keeping the 10 to 12" fish. If you want a healthy lake or pond, keep the dinks for eating and release the bigger fish.

From the "looks" of these people I'm pretty sure they weren't gonna let the bigger fish go ;\)

Leech I guess I dont understand where you are coming from. The dnr sets limits for people to follow--and as long as they stay legal what they take is there business. No I dont agree with taking small fish either, BUT there ARE limits set for reasons. I was wondering just how do you know that everyone is taking everything home with them just by there "LOOKS"? as you last wrote.(come on!!!) I have been out there with my kids in the last three weeks and we maybe in the 5-6 times out there have only kept 5-6 sunnies total. Yes we were catching fish(thats what its all about) but most everything was being put back. I see more fish taken by the pelicans in the summer by the culverts than the people out there right now are probably taking--i dont no though because i for one cant tell by there looks. I guess some of the things you write I surely dont agree with--- I was also the one who asked the question about norway and you and a few others really turned that question upside down when in all reality all i asked if anyone had heard of anthing biting?----not for any gps numbers

I guess what i am getting at is I though this was a site to go to that fishermen--sportsmen--women encluded, can get advise--give advise--and learn from one another. Not always try to find something wrong with everything. Sorry but its just my opinion,

Originally Posted By: crue86
Leech I guess I dont understand where you are coming from. The dnr sets limits for people to follow--and as long as they stay legal what they take is there business.

I was also the one who asked the question about norway and you and a few others really turned that question upside down when in all reality all i asked if anyone had heard of anthing biting?----not for any gps numbers

crue86, if ya go back to the thread of the Norway question you had asked about where the fish were biting. I threw in a hint "Hey, what am I doing sitting here on the computer? Its a beautiful day out and I heard they are nailing the walleyes during the day in 22 feet of water around the bigger island on Nest Lake! Oooopppssss! Haha!" That day I did head out to Nest on the east side of the larger island in about 25 FOW and caught some really nice eyes. A kid, not only 20 yards from me, caught a real nice one that went over 7 pounds. I basically told everyone that read it, where I heard the fish were biting. Pretty close to GPS coordinates.

As for what people keep...I don't agree with all the limits the MN DNR sets forth. I don't have to. I do, however, respect the law. And agree, if they are within legal limits and sizes, theres nothing I can do. I can however, have my own opinion on if I believe keeping small fish will benefit a lake ecosystem or not. Sorry if you were confused.

As for my "word usage" on the "looks" of the people out there, you have to look beyond the word looks. It included the actions of them. They were "hootin and hollarin" when they caught the little guys and threw them up onto the pile of 5 inch crappies they already had on the ice. In theory, I could only imagine what they would do if they caught some bigger fish. I also said in an earlier post "I believe though, the majority of us that frequent this site, are true outdoorsmen. We enjoy fishing so much that we visit and log onto this site often. I believe that we practice selective harvest when we are on the lake," So I am not pointing the finger at you. You don't have to get all defensive about it. Sorry if ya took it the wrong way.

This is a wonderful site. I've been a member since 2004. I've learned a great deal from this web tool and given some good information. Plus its great entertainment! Another great thing about this site is its a place where people (fishermen, fisherwomen, and fisherkids) can voice their opinion. There wouldn't be any limits or regs set by the DNR if there weren't people behind them voicing there opinions to influence their final decisions. Heck, this great country of ours wouldn't be what it is today if people weren't allowed to voice their opinions. I've learned with this site, sometimes you just either gotta turn away and not read anymore into it or just give a smart answer back. But, over all, don't take anything to heart (I've had my share of smarta$$ people given me grief on issues and ideas).

Once again, sorry if you took anything the wrong way.

I second that, good post Leech. This site is good for information and entertainment BUT you have to take what is said with a grain of salt, people will say things thru their keyboards that they wouldn't say to your face. But it is a great way to get information and opinions from a lot of different people from all walks of life.

leech, no offense taken, I guess i wont learn anything here unless i try and voice my own opinion---since i am new here I will start reading into what is said a little better now that you have let me know how to READ into things. Thanks for the info earlier then, I did miss it completly, but i was just wondering about norway then because i was heading that way regardless