Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bdafisher

Lake Mitchell in EP

10 posts in this topic

Hey everyone hope the final day of pikes and walters went good for everyone. I took a tour of west metro lakes today. I started at Grays Bay with some success, lots of small sunnies and 2 flags that yielded small but very frisky Pikes. Got bored head to Christmas for 1.5 hours with NOTHING!! Then to Lotus for some more sunnies and a couple decent perch, that tasted great. I finally started to head home and drove by Lake Mitchell off of Hwy 5 and there were a TON of people on it. Does anyone know if that lake is producing, or was it just a get together on the ice on what was a beautiful Sunday?

Yeah I've wondered about that. I used to fish the lake quite abit in the past winters with average success for panfish, but I've avoided it this year due to a big winterkill last year. The DNR did plant some walleyes in there a few years back. My theory is that a few 'eyes were caught at some point this winter and the word of mouth spread.

Its amazing how fishing "telephone" is played and its effects. Just today I heard out on the ice that some guy up in Monticello area caught 12 bluegills that had a combined weight of 14 pounds. Everyody! Quick, go to that lake...

Originally Posted By: bdafisher
Then to Lotus for some more sunnies and a couple decent perch, that tasted great.

Where on Lotus where you fishing? I fished it Friday and Saturday both and had some success on crappies and sunnies, but all fish were pretty small - kept a few crappies, but none of the sunnies were worth keeping. I've fished that lake a lot in the last 6 weeks and have yet to catch a single perch!

Mitchell has been hit or miss. I know a guy who lives on the lake and he says he has a hard time finding the fish sometimes, but when he does they are there.

The city just installed the aerator in the last week or two so they are trying to avoid another winterkill.

The bluegills are hard to find sometimes, they are ok size, but they are FULL of that black spot parasite - I know they are ok to eat, but when they are that bad, I tend to shy away from keeping them.

Thunder, I started on the north end with everyone else and caught a ton a small sunnies and a couple crappies (2 eaters). I was in 20+ feet of water. Then on a whim I moved into that bay off to the east, fished for about 30 minutes and that is where I got the perch and nothing else. It was probably within 10 minutes then dead. Then when I was leaving there were tons of people on the south end but I didn't stop. But now its time for me to find some crappies on tonka.

I was out on Mitchell last saturday and all those guys that are fishing near the aerator are catching real little sunnies and crappies. there is no size to them from what i saw. i was just out there fishing tip-ups. there were a few guys that were away from the cluster of houses so i don't know, maybe they were catching some bigger ones.

I was out there today for about 2 hours. Mitchell seems to be the lake I go to when i want to catch panfish during the day. I got up in the weeds in about 6 fow and marked fish right away. started catching some real nice sunfish until i saw a giant northern come into the hole on the camera. After that they never really came back in. There was 3-4 other people on the lake and one of them was fishing by the aerator.

Where is the aerator located on this lake?

It is located right next to the access. As you drive on its is right on the right side. You cant miss it is is marked off with orange fence and signs.