Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dan189

Ice thickness and safety on the Red?

11 posts in this topic

I'm curious as to the ice thickness and safety on the Red River (and its tribs). I have fished for cats during the summer numerous times, but have stuck to lakes during the winter. With the cold streaks we've seen recently how thick are most of you guys measuring the ice? I know it varies much with different areas, current, structure, etc. I would like to try going after some eyes but want to stay safe. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Dan

5" to 24" but 16 is average for us. We found 4' of ice today it was weird. We fish the fargo area.

Yep, what NightWarrior said. However, there are spots that are thinner than that too- it's never totally safe.

So... bring ice picks, rope (have one guy on shore tied to another ice-checking-guy on the river), spud bar, and most importantly, a buddy. I know guys who wear life jackets until they know an area is safe. You'll get a feel for what areas look good and bad. I've been fishing the rivers for quite a few years and I've gone through twice. Trust me, it's no dang fun and you don't want to have it happen to you. If you go through in a spot with a good current, we may be reading about you in the paper. Don't take any silly risks. Stay away from dams or spots that have much current. Also, ice can change really fast- because it's good today doesn't mean it'll be good tomorrow. This is especially the case once we get a little melting. Three years ago I fished a spot with 20 inches of solid ice one day, then six inches of mush and four inches of good ice the next day. The day after that it was completely open water.

I'm not trying to discourage you- I'm just trying to discourage you from taking a very cold bath on the rivers. There's lots of safe ice- most of it in fact. Just be careful...

Scoot,

Thanks for the good info. I live in Fargo and have an open schedule relatively all week. I would like to try some Red ice fishing, but I don't know anyone with much Red experience. If you wouldn't mind teaming up on the Red, I'd love to get out, just let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

you might need to offer up Scoot some babysitting in exchange for him taking you out ;\)

If Scoot needs some help getting away, I'd be more than willing to lend him a hand.

Dan

Yup, Deadhead's exactly right- duties at home/work have me pretty swamped! Let's see... a 3 year old and a 6 month old, '07 taxes, '06 audit of taxes, a huge grant due soon (which my job is riding on), and working on finishing my basement. Other than that, I've got nothing going on right now! crazy.gif

So... sorry, but I'm no good to anybody right now. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll try point you in the right direction. I've got a trip scheduled to visit Stu in a couple weeks, but that's likely the only time I'll be fishing on the ice for the rest of the year. After that, I'll be out chasing crappies with my little boy in a boat- I can't wait for that! Last year he was too little for that, but this year it'll be a blast. I just gotta make it through March...

Hey Scoot what you have left on ur basement?

Lots left on the basement- I just finished framing it, I need to get crackin' on the electrical, then insulation, and sheetrocking. That's all I have planned for this year. ... and I'm not sure I'll get all that done anytime soon.

Scoot I can relate on the basement issue. We moved in to our house in June, and I've been busy since. If Ray wasn't bothering me to go fishing I would have probably of been done by now grin.gif

I guess i need a fishing partner that can handle fishing more than once a month.LOL anyone up for every other day?