Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Realtor Boy

Plastics on Red?

17 posts in this topic

I always hear about what jigs are working on Red....Ive always wondered if anyone has much luck on plastics on Red? ( for crappies) never hear much at all about plastics up there.

thx

2" and 3" Power Minnows work well as do Little Atom Nuggies and Micro Tails and Shrimpo's.

The 3" Power Minnow was the ticket during Slab Fest.

thx Jamison

We really pounded them on the 2" glow power minnows on Sunday. The Ratsos are also very good.

could someone post a picture of how to you rig a power minnow i am haveing a little trouble pictureing this in my head. thanks

Originally Posted By: ortonville
could someone post a picture of how to you rig a power minnow i am haveing a little trouble pictureing this in my head. thanks

Here you go.

100_0515.jpg

Borch- I would assume you tie this to set it horziontally to make it more realistic. I have never used plastics on red or where to look for power minnows like these. I have used shrimpos, ratsos and etc. on other lakes and do pretty well. Oh do these power minnows work well at night hours as they glow?

Was the ticket compared to what? Live Bait

or strictly plastics? How dominant?

With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 crappies, all of them came on plastics.

I was set up near IceHawk and his buddy Eric on Saturday night this weekend. Although I was getting a crappie here and there, I watched these two guys pull in one after another. I talked to them after they packed up and they gave me a couple power minnows. I am definitly a believer. Although I only iced one after they left, the power minnow will be my bait of choice on my next trip to Red.

IceHawk & Eric - it was nice meeting you guys and thanks for the tip.

Your welcome! It was nice meeting you also. Glad we could help you out. Those power minnows are something else, get some you definately won't be dissapointed!

Yes fish it horizontally. So position the knot towards the hook gap after each fish.

When I fish and I'm hole hopping I use the power minnow so I don't have to drag a minnow bucket along. When I set up in one spot I'll work the power minnow or a spoon along with a deadstick/minnow combo nearby. If they don't hit the jigged bait they will often swim over and hit the deadstick. It's a nice 1, 2 combo.

Since I'm generally chasing fish I use the power minnow a lot.

Almost always when I chase fish like Borch has stated, I will be using plastics as they will catch fish and it seems to be much less work as you have less gear to haul around.

Don't listen to everything Ice Hawk tells you. He told me early that same afternoon he was going to Blackduck Lake. grin.gifwhistle.gif

I have never used Power minnows. I see they come in different lengths and I assume different colors. What color did you guys find work the best? Can you buy ones that glow and are they also affective?

you can buy them in multiple colors...the only ones I have used is the natural and the glow...I have done well on both of them in 2" with a 1/16 jig

Glow has been the best on URL. I use the 2" ones but some guys use the 3" ones on URL.