• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

"Hardwater vs Openwater"

Originally Posted By: eyes05
ice fishing all the way. just cause i dont have a boat ha ha .

Yeah thats my thought. On the ice I get to fish everywhere I wanted to in the summer. Ah, but I love the summer, being out there in the warm weather, in the sun, with all of the excitement and vibrant life of that time of year.

Both hard and open water for me as well. \:\) With the hectic busy schedule I have it's a matter of making the time to get out on the water.

Winter is something I've adapted well to, so I ice fish, and I like it, it gets me through winter... so I can fish soft water! And we're looking forward in 5 or so years to moving south then I can do soft water all year. I'll miss spending the whole weekend in the perm, because it is such a unique experience, but I won't miss my portable or all the repetitive, monotonous hard work of ice fishing. I also love snowmobiling, but I'd trade it off for riding an ATV or driving a jeep all year in dirt, mud and trails. I'd never miss shoveling, snowblowing, the cold, scraping windows, frozen engines, or racing to enjoy the summer and fix everything while looking over my shoulder at winter coming. Winter is brutal enough to make me wish for a time when I don't have to deal with it. I can't believe how much we do and spend just to ensure our personal existence up here. Like my wife says, "If humans were meant to live up here, we'd have fur!!!" and I think she has a point. Open water all the way!

Springtime Crappies and the season opener are tough to beat, but hands down hardwater would be my choice.

Ask me in Late August Ill say ice fishing. Ask me now I say open water...

Ice fishing I get out more often but if I had to choose one it would be open water.

I would say both because with hardwater I can get around on the lake being I do not have a boat , wish list.

Softwater because I can take my 9 year old out and fish with her being my better half has scared the [PoorWordUsage] out of her telling her stories about how she fell through the ice when she was young.

Enjoy the seasons,

I'd say it's nice living in a state where we get to enjoy both relatively long seasons. You can't do that in too many states. Even as close as Chi-town they cannot drive on the ice. It's a lot of work prepping and maintaining the gear, (rods, tackle, ATV, portable, permanent, boat, etc) but I wouldn't give it up for a home in any of the southern states.

In the metro, Ice fishing wins hands down. I HATE the hassel of dealing with busy boat landings in the summer.

Now if I still lived 'up north', it'd be a tie. I really do enjoy both and could not imagine living anywere where I couldnt do both. Most people want to retire down south, I want to retire 'up north'.

Open water is better i think, its easy to move, plus if nothing is biting you have to think harder and present your lure the correct way to get a bite, and the outcome is always awesome, and it's a lot of fun to hook into a big fish when there's people around haha, but yea ice fishing is fun too