• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

hunting show subjects

leechlake

I had an epiphany last night...I was watching one of the oudoor channels and it dawned on me 99% of all hunting or fishing shows don't even come close to a "normal" hunting or fishing experience for me. We need a "regular guy" show where the whole experience is explored not show after show of people shooting 175 inch bucks or 400" bulls.

From my experience most of my outdoor experiences are pretty uneventful game wise (sprinkled in with some outstanding ones which make it like playing the lottery every time I go outdoors)but are fun, nonetheless, because of all the things associated with the pursuit. Beautiful weather, cruddy weather, awesome views, friends that are total characters, near catastrophe, dreaming about trips to come.

I realize the above is probably really hard to put on an outdoor show but as I watched last night I realized watching the same tired old "celebrity" chase the same "trophy" didn't float my boat one bit. I like the outdoor shows that I can replay in my head, the good ones, the bad ones and everything in between. The ones where we struggle to catch enough fish for a Saturday night meal, that's my trophy.

I agree...I get sucked into all types of hunting / fishing shows, and I wonder the same thing? But I still continue to watch...Even the re-runs!!!!! Would hunting or fishing get boring if you tended to harvest "MAX" amount each and every time? What would your expectation be after doing it time and time again? I understand a lot of that is edited camera work production...Honestly, I enjoy watching the "reality" shows more. Something like a Minnesota Bound or even Kent Herbek's show, which is not necessarily all hunting and fishing, and its local and more realistic.....I know there are others on the major cable networks, but can't think of them right off the top of my head. I also feel it's more exciting and enjoyable (TV watching wise) when someone misses a shot or nature was able to win the battle and avoid the hunter. The dialog is more realistic and understandable.

I enjoy watching Cameron Haynes. He does do it yourself hunts. He might not be like you or me as he is a gifted archer and hunter but I watched one recently where it took him 16 stocks before he tagged out on an antelope in Wyoming.

Yeah, some of those shows are not very realistic. I do enjoy Will Primos's show, and the RMEF's Elk Country Journal is excellent.

I like Druary outdoors and I do like to see people miss every once in a while, its makes them human and not just automatic if they see a deer its dead. I wont watch a show in Texas cause it just is so boring and feels like they are hunting fenced in deer.