Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WildCountry

Cedar

15 posts in this topic

Im hearing 12-14 inch crappies are biting? anyone gettin these pigs?

A couple of weeks ago we got some 12 to 14 inchers. But they were slow. Gottem using fatheads

welcome to FM 2222.

was there alot of people fishing out there over the course of the winter. I seen there was always some houses over by the belle lake cuvert.

THERE WAS ABOUT A DOZEN OR SO DOWN TO THE WEST END

sounds like the size has tapered off...

We were out on Saturday and filled the bucket with 20 crappies that were 13-14 1/2". Once the crowds and crowds of people showed up, the fishing slowed dramatically.

Sunday, (1) 14" crappie.

Is the access on the south side of this lake? And, are people on the west half or east half (or both?).

South side access. So did the bite shut off (i.e. marking but not biting) or did they just disappear and move elsewhere?

Sounds like a 'shudda been here last weekend' deal.

The bite did not shut off, just slowed down on Sunday. One of the "truck" fisherman had 6 (we gave him our 1) but he was moving around to all of the holes that were drilled Saturday afternoon when the enitire tri-county area showed up.

Hopefully I have an update on the bite today.

Just hope the access is passable. The 1 1/2' of snow probably has turned to sluch and could make getting onto the lake most of the battle.

I was curious to give this a shot last night. There were at least 40 vehicles out there (in the same spot)and I highly doubt that 40 crappies were caught between all of those vehicles. People were leaving the lake 1 hour before dark, the bite was super slow, no monster crappies (couple 7 inchers), BUT it is truely the first time I have every caught shiner minnows through the ice. Boy they were nice ones too (3-4 inchers). WOW!

The access is real rough. The ruts are getting deep and there is water everywhere.

If you get on the fish out there, I would keep it to youself. This post has only been read 1006 times and most of it has been within the last couple of days (I bet).

IMO, there are alot of better options out there right now. A couple of "big" crappies is not really worth my time (if I were to catch any at all).

Well, on my part, I was simply curious to find out where the access was and what half of the lake people were fishing. I've got fishing plans for the weekend, but they don't include this lake.

However, I am curious, is the access good enough for 18' boats? I've never been to the lake before. Seen it plenty of times from the road, just not up close. \:\/

Well, the main group must be the place to be.......

You can get an 18 footer in early, but I wouldn't be worried about that. I would be worried about all of the trees and bars on the 5 foot part of the lake....Take a look at the map, not very realistic although some smaller boats do it.

Then again, I have taken my 21 foot bass boat on the river in town in the middle of July. That was stupid but thank gosh my prop didn't end up on the rock pile.

Thanks for the info BD. If that's the case, I'll stick to the deeper lakes. ;\)

I wouldn't recommend a large boat on Cedar though I have seen some in the summer. We are going to use a duck boat this spring with an old 10hp Johnson to push us around.... Good Times