Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Trick

First time fishing the river

5 posts in this topic

I kind of decided today that I was going to do something wild & crazy & drive up & fish the rainy river this weekend. I have never done any river fishing before & was just wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers on jig size or bait or anything else that might help me out. I have just pretty much fished the shallow lakes here in sw mn, so I'm sure this trip will be a whole different animal. I think I will pretty much be targeting walleyes, but if a stray pike or two show up, thats fine too. Thanks Fellers!

I usually fish the rainy river year round. I'm not sure where you are planning to do your fishing but around the birchdale area seems to be a good spot from what i have heard. Usually i use about a 1/2 oz jig tipped with a shiner for the eyes and i am sure you can get a few pike in there too. The water depth is righth around 10-12' and there may be a layer of slush. If you can try drilling a few holes and see if you can fish the edge of the slush this seems to be the best area and it is alot easier reaching bottom...good luck you may also want to contact tearin lips i hear he will be down there this weekend maybe he has some more tips?

Thanks for the tip. I fished for 5 days on the river & did pretty good every day & had a ball doing it.

Any tips Trick for others wanting to give it a try?

I used 1/2 oz jig head tipped with a shiner. I dropped it til it hit the bottom & then set the bobber stop about another two feet above that point. I didnt jig constantly, but would jig one line, let it set a bit then jig the other. Seemed like they bit better right away in the morning. Thats about all I know!, hope it helps.