Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mno

Lake Traverse

7 posts in this topic

Does any 1 ever fish lake traverse on the MN/Sd border and if so when would be the best time of the year.

I ran into a guy who works at a sporting store which is a wharehouse in Sioux Falls and grew up on Traverse, he highly suggested I get there and fish it. I want to make it a priority this summer to get a better grip before I tackle it during hardwater season.

I have only fished Traverse a couple of times. Did well on the walleyes. The time we fished it was in May. Just watch out for the huge rocks just below the surface of the water. They come up fast.

I know they get some huge bluegills out of this lake also.

Really so do you think it would be a good idea to plan a trip early in the season or later cuz the season on that lake opens in April???

I always love ice out fishing!!! That is why I hit the river in Chamberlain, I have to wait til the first weekend in May otherwise to catch and keep a meal, but not much beats ice out fishing. To tell you the truth, I fish open water early and then again late, mid summer, I usually don't fish too much. That is when most of the family time comes in on the water, tubing and such.

Normally I have had the best luck fishing the first part of May thru June on the NE SD lakes.

I was at Traverse for a week in August '03, I only got one eye trolling but my buddy and I had no idea about the lake and what type of structure it had so we headed to a shallow weedy inlet and figured we'd cast for pike or whatever would bite. We landed a couple snakes and a 5 lb. largemouth and then my buddy hooked into something huge. He faught it for a good 15 min or so while i had the net in hand and the whole time I was thinking to myself that we needed a bigger net. Another 5 min of fighting the fish and then his drag starting messing up so hes trying to fix it while fighting this big fish. He managed to get it to within about 10 feet of the boat and I caught a glimpse of the tail and then bam my buddies daredevle came flying back at his face. We never found out what it was and we'll never know exactly how big it was but from what i can remember the tail was an orange color, and ever since i keep thinking it could have been a big gar but maybe some of you guys that have fished the lake more would have a better idea.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• ZachD
      Try the Sherburne wildlife refuge plenty of places you can get to were not a lot of people want to go the spot I deer hunt you need hip waders to get to
    • ZachD
    • Borch
      We've done well in late June.   May need to move offshore more.  Cranks or spinners till you find fish then slow down if needed.   I use the public access.  Not usually too busy mid summer. 
    • h8go4s
      Blue_Healer (Shouldn't that be heeler, not healer? http://www.dogster.com/dog-breeds/Blue_Heeler ) "Thanks for the advice. Nobody else would help."   Me: "You're welcome. Did you check the websites I referenced? Did you stop at any boat dealers? "
    • Walleye #1
        With the big winds this week we were not able to venture out as far, so not a whole lot to report from the Main Lake.  When it isn’t blowing too hard, the main lake rock reefs were kicking out nice Leech Lake walleyes in 14-18 feet of water.  Pulling lindy rigs with crawlers or leeches as well as slow death at .5-.8 mph was the best.  Speed is the key when dialing in these fish.  Our Leech Lake fishing guides found a nice mix of eaters and bigger fish.   Still many of the same places as last week were producing in North Bar, Fletchers, Ivans, Submarine, etc, but don’t forget to look for secondary reefs and humps that are nearby or if the fish are not on the edges of those reefs look to the mud basins where the bug hatches are taking place and drive until you graph fish.   On the west end of the lake in Walker Bay and Agency Bays, shoreline breaks that had wind blowing in were the best.  14-20ft of water is where we keyed in on.  Pulling lindy rigs with chubs, leeches, or crawlers all worked to put a nice mix of walleyes and even some nice pike in the boat.  Other areas to key in on would be under water points and bars that run out into the bays and have deep water right next to them the bigger fish like to suspend and then come in and feed during these times.  
    • Walleye #1
      Always worth it to go fishing.  That time of year your best bet from what your schedule sounds like would be to put crank baits on and trolling the edges and tops of the reefs or do some slip bobber fishing down on that end of the lake.  Huddles Reef, Variety, Olsons, etc. would all be places to start, but the crankbait bite can be good.    
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      Big Hatches usually get the slow bite over in a hurry! Hopefully this will only last a few more days! Boated 22 walleyes today but only managed to keep 7 small eaters in 6 hours of fishing. Cliff
    • monstermoose78
      They used to have a nice gun range but some stupid locals shot their garage and blamed the range!
    • gunner55
      I'm only 8-10 miles south of smurfy with the same experience on the lake. Mn Fishing Pros is a group of 4 guys who guide in the area & so is Jeff Sundin. Not sure what any of them have for experience on that lake but you might try to contact 1 of them to see if they have a opening that fits your time slot or they might even have some info on the lake that they are willing to share 
    • Wheres_Walter
      Headed up this weekend and next weekend.  WIll be fishing mostly Frazer.  Sounds like the hatch is on.  If anyone has been fishing walleye on frazer in the past few days, got any tips on depth?  Presentation?     Sounds like crawlers are the ticket right now.   Thanks