• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I ran into a guy who works at a sporting store which is a wharehouse in Sioux Falls and grew up on Traverse, he highly suggested I get there and fish it. I want to make it a priority this summer to get a better grip before I tackle it during hardwater season.

I have only fished Traverse a couple of times. Did well on the walleyes. The time we fished it was in May. Just watch out for the huge rocks just below the surface of the water. They come up fast.

I know they get some huge bluegills out of this lake also.

Really so do you think it would be a good idea to plan a trip early in the season or later cuz the season on that lake opens in April???

I always love ice out fishing!!! That is why I hit the river in Chamberlain, I have to wait til the first weekend in May otherwise to catch and keep a meal, but not much beats ice out fishing. To tell you the truth, I fish open water early and then again late, mid summer, I usually don't fish too much. That is when most of the family time comes in on the water, tubing and such.

I was at Traverse for a week in August '03, I only got one eye trolling but my buddy and I had no idea about the lake and what type of structure it had so we headed to a shallow weedy inlet and figured we'd cast for pike or whatever would bite. We landed a couple snakes and a 5 lb. largemouth and then my buddy hooked into something huge. He faught it for a good 15 min or so while i had the net in hand and the whole time I was thinking to myself that we needed a bigger net. Another 5 min of fighting the fish and then his drag starting messing up so hes trying to fix it while fighting this big fish. He managed to get it to within about 10 feet of the boat and I caught a glimpse of the tail and then bam my buddies daredevle came flying back at his face. We never found out what it was and we'll never know exactly how big it was but from what i can remember the tail was an orange color, and ever since i keep thinking it could have been a big gar but maybe some of you guys that have fished the lake more would have a better idea.