Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
walleyefisher0990

Big Lake

7 posts in this topic

A few high school buddies and I are looking at camping up on Big May 17-21. just curious for any tips about the lake, good campsites, we will mostly be fishing for walleyes and pike. Thanks for any info.

All i know is if you can find some rocky points or some gravel bars you should be alright. I spent a week up there a few years ago and pounded the walleye. Not to mention had a 20lb+ pike snap my 15lb test line with a steel leader, that almost made me cry, woulda been my biggest by far, maybe somethin on my wall

Also managed a few decent perch and my buddy got about a 4lb smallie

Theres no fish in big lake anymore. I'd hit Shags

was up at big lake a few years ago fishing was very slow .we stayed on a island weather was also not the best either friend of mine ate some bad food and got colitious very bad maybe we will try again this year.

big lake is by far my favorite lake to fish. especially in may. we've always done the best on very rocky shorlines in about 8-12 feet of water during the day. we'll drag spinners with minnows or jig with minnows. once it's close to dark we cast small rapalas at the shorelines and we've always done well. Orange has always been our best color.

If you are looking for a wall mounter, fish Burntside reefs (12-15ft) from the last week in June until July 15th, or so.

Most will be 24 inches up to 30+.