Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tmvikings

Red Lake

17 posts in this topic

Going up to red lake for Crappie March 1st any suggestions on what to do and use to make the trip a success….Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!!

Check the red lake sub forum, lots of good info there.

Check out the Red Lake forum. Very good info in there!

please post how you do and what you use. i am curious,thanks

i would drill alot of holes and use a flasher if the weather is nice. waiting them out works good to but sometimes u gotta go searching...i never get the chance cause when i go it's 50 below lol.

the best color i caught my crappies on and seen alot of other people catch theirs on is glow red...other colors work to but it's the most consistant i've seen.

fatheads and emerald shiners is what i like to use for the big crappies.

good luck

shinners for crappies? thats gotta be a big crappie

glow red demon jig ,bigger size, is a good start. never hurts to have some kind of glow blue jig either. as far as bait goes you might want to bring a little of everything[crappie minnows,chubs,shiners] cause you never know what they want to eat. nowadays i think its more of a matter of finding em.

Guru,thats the ticket,The emeralds outfished the fatheads during sum stretches during the trip,sssssssshhhhhhh,dont let out the secret,GO BIG OR GO HOME

the smaller 13 1/2 inch crappies bite on the shiners...did i just say 13 1/2 inch crappies are small? only on url can u say that! i use jigs and baits for the crappies on red that i use for nice walleyes anywhere else lol.

The crappies usually will bite very weel on the JB Lures Rattlin Varmits in glow red in the 1/8th oz or the 1/4 oz also.

One can use many different baits and I usually use a minnow head on the jig and then also use a deadstick in the next hole with a plain red hook and a lively whole minnow. This minnow could be one of many sizes but usually I will use a crappie or fathead sized minnow.

I have tried 2 find the JB Lures Rattlin Varmits,where ya picking them bad boys up?

i also picked a couple up at Gander...glow red and glow chartuese..some have rattles in them and some don't...all the ice fishing gear is gettin pretty slim pickins now though.

They dont sell em around there?If not i better get 2 ordering,renting 1 of ur 6 man shacks March 10-12.

I stockpile everything the beginning of ice/ and open water between JB, as well as Northland directly from their websites. It kills me to go to an outlet an have them out so I end it all before seaosons begin! http://www.jblures.com

By the way, T-Rex? Any familiarity to band? Dinosaur? Just curious, listened to a lotta T-Rex.

LOL....nope...what generation was that??? More info please.