Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
green-circuit

Late May fishing

5 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I am thinking about Rainy lake fishing way too much for this time of the year. We are coming up in late May and we were wondering what the fishing would be like at that time...is it too early. What will we be catching etc.

It was fine this past year but I doubt the weather will be that nice very often in May. Rainy2007-05-28.jpg

HI G.C.,

WELCOME TO THE RAINY SITE & FISHING MN., FISHING IS EXCELLENT THEN, YOU CAN FIND WALLEYES IN WATER FROM 2 FEET TO 60 FEET. RAINY IS UNLIKE OTHER MINNESOTA LAKES, SOME OF OUR FISH NEVER LEAVE THE REEFS, OTHERS HEAD UP THE RIVERS, SHALLOW BAYS., SO YOU MUST BE OPEN MINDED. RAINY IS 1 OF THE BEST WALLEYE FACTORYS IN THE WORLD, YET TOURISTS COME HERE, HOOK ON A SPINNER, TROLL AROUND ANY OLD SHORELINE & EXPECT TO FILL THE BOAT, GUESS WHAT 99 TIMES OUT OF A 100...THAT AIN'T GOING TO WORK...ESPECIALLY ON RAINY. ON OPENER I HAVE CAUGHT WALLEYES ON RAINY IN 2 FEET...22 FEET, 35 FEET & ONCE A CAUGHT A WALLEYE WITH OUR LOCAL D.N.R. FISHERIES MGR. IN 72 FEET. WHY IS THIS...WEATHER, CURRENT, WATER TEMP, BAIT FISH(FEED)ARE SOME OF THE VARIABLES...SO IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE LAKE, HIRE A GUIDE. I WOULD NEVER BE WITHOUT ANY OF THESE ITEMS IN MY BOAT. A GOOD GRAPH, A GOOD RAIN SUIT, WARM CLOTHES, 120 FOOT ROPE, 28 LB. ANCHOR, MY ROD & REELS SET UP, 2 WITH JIGS, 2 WITH LINDYS. I WOULD BE TRYING BOTH MINNOWS & (SHINNERS & CHUBS) LEECHES, AN ELECTRIC, A GPS IF YOU HAVE ONE, A MEASURE BOARD, LANDING NET, LIFE VESTS, THROWABLE CUSHION, WHISTLE, FLOATING ROPE, BOAT LIGHTS ...CAMERA, FISH MARKER BOUYS., AND A GOOD POSITIVE ATTITUDE THAT I'M GOING TO CATCH FISH. HOPE THIS HELPS.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Late May is a good time on Rainy for both walleyes and crappies. Black Bay can hold both in good numbers that time of the year. I spend a lot of time watching my bobber sink in late may. Its one of my favorite times of the year to fish Rainy - late May early June. The only downer is the weather can fell like July one day and December the next...Be prepared, that’s all.

Smallmouth bass fishing can be awesome that time of year. Fishmiester is right about the gear for eye's, smallies are usually in the shallows or close to them, good trolling motor and a strong arm helps.Xraps are a must,jigs work too. A guide will make your trip more enjoyable.